And the rains came. Thunder that rattles the windows and sets off car alarms were the order of this morning. What power nature holds! The rains pounded my house and the small indoor river turned into a lagoon and then a lake by afternoon. It seems that the water was determined to push me outdoors. Fortunately the thing about Taipei rain is that it doesn't sock in and pour and pour. It rains in fits and starts allowing one hope of blue sky or at least a reprieve between showers. I took opportunity to go ahead and walk to CKS Memorial.
I was in luck. I have now in my greedy hands a ticket to go see the Moscow Ballet perform Swan Lake this week. I'm very excited by the prospect. I've watched in admiriation from the outside of the Theatre as patrons circulate under the massive chandaliers in the lobby. I look forward to seeing them up-close myself. The ticket wasn't as expensive as I would expect seeing such a renowned ballet would be. I bought a middle of the road seat. There were both cheaper and more expensive tickets so I expect my view will be fairly decent. I'm on the first balcony and close enough that I think I'll be able to see.
Though I think this should probably comprise all of May's entertainment budget I am still considering attending 2 other performances. One is an African percussion group and the other is a pianist that comes highly regarded. I suspect I could lay down a great sum of money to begin my "cultural education." I live so close to the venue it is hard to resist the cheaper than Canadian prices for good theater / dance / music appreciation. Chicago will be performed here in July and I'm pondering attending that also. Plus I want to see real Chinese opera and it is also readily available. Ah, the wish list continues. It would probably be cheaper if I just bought a DVD player and TV. *laughs*
Other than the ticket forray, I did laudry today. It's always a mistake to do laundry on Sunday unless I'm there at 6 in the morning. Sunday is the day the majority of Taiwanese have off of work and the laundromat tends to be packed with people. On a hot humid day it isn't really a fun place to hang out.
I also got together with my surrogate family to celebrate my birthday tonight. They sang happy birthday to me in 5 different languages to celebrate my 05.05.05 birthday. I am so honoured to have such a wonderful fellowship of friends to help support me during my time overseas.
Love and Hugs
T. Destiny