Friday morning and the sky is again a leaded grey. The world is heavy with the weight of such a gloomy color. But inside my head there is glorious sunshine because I have things to add to my book of memories.
Firstly I had a marvelous birthday party. Despite the restaurant we had made reservations at being closed the longer term residents of Taipei knew a good place we could go.
I must ask though: Who ever heard of a restaurant closing on a night when people actually have reservations and are standing at the door before you close? Happily, "Citizen Cain's" also was serving Mexican grub in honour of Cinco de Mayo. I kept in the spirit of Taiwan and gave all my co-workers different coloured organizers. I really enjoyed giving them each a gift to remember my birthday. This may be the start of a new tradition for me.
After supper my roommate and one of the other girls went to a club where there was Salsa dancing! It was good fun and I got to try dancing with one of the ex-pats there who has obviously taken lessons or had a LOT of practice. I am not very good at it at all but enjoyed the experience none-the-less. The club is close to my house (15 minute walk) so I ambled home through some new territory near the university and fell into bed around 1.30 this morning.
I'm tired but happy. My second memory yet to come is the arrival of one of my grandmother's friends from China tonight. I was glad that I could pass along some of the kindness that I received in instructions that are detailed enough to make you confident at arriving in an unfamiliar airport. I hope to show this fine lady some of the sights in Taipei and help her find some of the more beautiful things in Taiwan.
If you sent something snail-mail don't worry. Unless they're sent express-post packages typically take a month or more to arrive here. Mail is only speedy for letters and things that look official. Thanks for all your warm wishes!
I'm off to nap in my classroom before the day starts in earnest.
_____________________