Last night I hobbled my way home and used the hurt knee as an excuse for - you guessed it - icecream. After all I had to stop and buy ice to nurse my knee again. And it cheered my spirit.
Ooops... I can feel the pounds lurking in those frozen treats.
- The good news is this: I can walk! I think getting my knee on ice almost immediately after I fell prevented serious swelling from happening. I am only moderately sore today.
- The better news is that I managed to do some painting last night and am still pleased with the results in the light of day. Actually, I'm so pleased with the satisfaction of starting and completing a personal project that painting is on the schedule again for tonight.
- The excellent news is that I think the culture shock blues are starting to pass and that once again I'm in a positive frame of mind about living overseas and still optomistic about learning the language.
Sitting still with her eyes closed for a moment thinking:"Celebrate the good things in your life. Remember that you're cared for and that people all around you have less than you ever will. Know that God is good and all blessings flow from above. Focus on the positive things in the world. And if all else fails,
fake it until you make it."
I'm celebrating my good fortune to have had a friend call me early
(5:40 am) this morning. I'm still happy about getting mail from my Grandpa.
Yes, I'll be here long enough to get more snail mail. Mail in Taiwan is remarkably efficient. My Grandpa's letter from Canada took less than 10 days to get here. My letters to get back home take longer because I usually carry them around in my knapsack for a week after they are written and then do a mass mailing.
I'm also cheering inside for the 6 classes I have which are dilligently working on writing dialogue in English for drama class. That's not an easy task for someone who doesn't speak this language on a regular basis and not something that I would dare to assign to my older students. I'm impressed that they are so willing to work so hard on a difficult task. And they are succeeding marvellously too. I'm the teacher so have been reading over their shoulders.
I'm finally able to pick out some of my students by face/name in the halls but am still challenged by the daunting 550+ numbers. Those that I can't remember are still cheerfully greeted. I want all the students - even the ones that aren't doing well to know how much I think they are special people. However, it can be hard to convey that when you are giving them a "bad" grade but I like to think that I'm fair and that genuine effort is rewarded. The keener better students want more written work and less performance while the others want more performance and less written. Go figure - I can't keep them all happy. My solution is that anyone who wants extra credit can write an essay. That's what my teachers did for me when I was in school so I think it probably still works.
When all is well with my mood and attitude the days are FLYING by. I feel I'm gaining some self confidence and teaching knowledge each day. I am also feeling more organized now too. So, celebrate with me. Life is good.
Enjoy the snow in Calgary!
Love and Hugs,
T. Destiny
Motto of the day: I'm teachable, I'm trainable, I'm fixable! And so are you!