Last night was a restless one of tossing and turning. Unable to rest, my sheets itched, my skin crawled and my throat was a dry rasp. I awoke so many times Ilost count. I dare say come morning I was more exhausted than I was before I went to sleep. I was up with dawn only to move to a chair and nap.
I've developed a congested dry cough. The cough can be one of several things two more likely possibilities include a cold, or a reaction to the big sandstorm that hit Eastern China on Friday. Photos here:
http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/english/doc/2005-04/21/content_436252.htmThere was a warning in Friday's paper that people with asthma should stay inside. I've been wearing my ultra-fun face mask when outside. I look just like a local now?
The day consisted of finding new places and positions to nap in and I read the one english novel that I brought with me. A present from my Aunt in Saskatoon for Christmas I'd been saving it as much as possible for an event like this. I can get english books here, it just seems to be another adventure I'd do when I'm feeling a bit better.
Feeling a little dizzy and peckish I took a trip down to the vegetarian buffet down the street. They charge by weight and I pretty consistently spend around $3 cdn for a full meal with rice and soup. The owner seems to think that I'm one of the local college students who is studying Chinese because he always tries a new phrase on me. It is kind of endearing. There are people there that I'm starting to recognize and I'm sure they feel the same way about me. It's kind of funny to see that locals eat out all the time too.
I thought I would make an attempt at going to the trade-show as planned but I was still feeling light-headed and a bit disoriented as I waited for a bus. Deciding that it was chilly I walked back to the apartment to grab a coat, but common sense kicked in and I stayed at home instead, nursing my sleep-deprived body with water, reading and naps. My roommate invited me over to her room for a movie and the laughs did a lot to clear the congestion out of the cough. So I'm thinking that this will clear up soon enough.
I'm taking care to get a lot of rest and relaxing as much as I can. I did some artwork last night that made me feel good. And I found some stickers for my class that I'm happy with.
Tomorrow I'll try again to get out and about. Until then I remain,
A teacher in Taiwan.