Chinese Proverb: He who returns from a journey is not the same as he who left.




My Photo Links


Weather in Taipei: The WeatherPixie Weather in Calgary: The WeatherPixie

Check the latest weather in Taiwan. What is an NT worth in your home currency? xe.com


NaNoWriMo Winner
I actually wrote a novel.
tsimplyme got their Neopet at http://www.neopets.com

Photos (c) 2005, T. Destiny
All Rights Reserved

NeoPet Graphic (c) 2004 Neopets, Inc.
All Rights Reserved.
Used With Permission

Powered for Blogger
by Blogger templates

My Taiwan Adventure

Monday, April 25, 2005
94.42 Mondays
I can not remember Mondays ever being this good back in Canada. Ever.

The Awakening:
After singing and sharing a good meal with other English speakers last night I got a wonderful sleep. I awoke this morning feeling rested and ready for my day. My congestion was definately improved and my mind was primed for the school day. I caught the early bus and arrived early enough at the office to tidy up some paperwork.

The Office:
My photocopies and lesson plans were done. I had enough handouts prepared for everyone. My elementary and junior high classes all participated pleasantly. Overall it was a very successful Monday. I'm ready to leave the office. I'm ready for tomorrow and brimming with confidence. I'm almost brave enough right now to face tomorrow's challenging boys.

The Weather:
A warm but foggy morning turned into blue skies and a pleasant 25 above today. The humidity kept it a just uncomfortable enough for me to appreciate the chance to acclimatize before true summer hits.

Lunch:
I went to a restaurant I haven't been to before for lunch. There I had an expensive yet delicious bowl of soup. Hearty with local vegetables, egg and beef it was by far worth the extra cash that I would normally spend on pop or tea after lunch. Total cost - 130 NT. That's just over $5 Cdn. for a really big bowl of tasty soup. I have to laugh at my new version of "expensive." (Especially after the $20cdn pizza!) A similar soup in downtown Calgary across the street from my former workplace was always more than $6 and not half as satisfying. It's nice to find something in Taiwan that is healthfully indulgent like this soup.

In an effort to curb my ice-cream dependency I've been trying to go to my fruit lady instead. From the first day I stopped there she's been so kind to me and always calls me beautiful. (Another customer translated for me once.) She's the only fruit vendor near the school that I will patronize. I really prefer the fresh pinapple over McD's soft serve. Plus, I get to enjoy something naturally sweet with none of the guilt!

In Canada the price of pre-prepared fruit I always found prohibitive. Here for 30-35 NT (less than $2 Cdn.) I get two really generous servings of cut, cleaned and ready to eat pineapple, guava, wax apples or cherry tomatoes. Later on I anticipate there will be fresh mangoes in-season. In addition, I know I'm getting a deal because other sellers in the city charge 50 -60 NT for the same amount of fruit. Those of you who know me well know how much I appreciate a bargain!

The Plan:
I'm not certain what I'll try for supper -- the vegetarian buffet I frequent is closed on Sunday/Monday. But I'm sure it will be suitably wonderful for the end of such a pleasant Monday. The plan is to also avoid cigarettes as I'm having a bizzare desire for physical familiarity at this moment.

It all seems possible:
Chinese lessons, the language, the country, my life, designing greeting cards.... it's the good side of the mood swing. The school has even indicated it's interested in having us back as a teaching group. I won't count those chickens until there's a signed contract but it's a positive indicator. I was even looking into distance learning courses for Elementary Education at lunch today.

Tomorrow is one of my two busiest teaching days so I'm going to milk this good mood for all it is worth by going out of the office now.

Love and Hugs and an extra special thought to everyone who's been kind enough to let me know they're thinking of me. More mail hit the postal office today.

I remain,
T. Destiny a Teachable Teacher in Taipei.
(reads her post and chuckles... Yes, I'm definately chatty today.)

Post a Comment



eXTReMe Tracker