Sweet memories of summer breezes are dancing in my mind. I was outside for maybe 5 or 10 minutes cumulatively today and it's approximately 30 above. My face is warm like I've gotten too much sun and my arms are a light hue of what I term golden pink. It is not sunburn, but the beginning of one. I remind myself that the reason I will wear makeup in Taiwan is not to look more beautiful but rather to prevent sunburn, skin cancer, and premature aging from the sun.
Yesterday there were torrential rain showers that started and stopped abruptly. The weather is still novel to me and so I think living in a tropical climate is so romantic. I'm sure the daily rains when they will come will cease to be interesting but coming from such a dry place as Calgary into a sub-tropical zone like Taipei is definately a change. *smiles* I look forward to experiencing more of life here in Taiwan.
My agency contacted me today about renewing my contract and what my plans were. I am pleased that the offer (?) is on the table. At least this is a sign that there will be an offer on the table soon. After a brief chat I think that there are some issues that I need to address privately with the company but I love the school where I work.
The whole thing brings back to me my need to make some decisions about the summer. Am I travelling? Do I have money to travel all summer? Or just part of the summer? Likely just part. So I'm thinking that taking the first 2 weeks in July to vacation here in Asia and then coming home to Canada for another 2 weeks in order to return to Taiwan in August to finish out a round of summer camp and then start a new term teaching. It seems a likely plan... and will give me a chance to entertain my friend from Britain as well as seeing friends/family back in Canada. Can you believe that the end of the weekend will bring 100 days since I've been on Canadian soil? Wow. Time flies really.
I'm working on getting a fridge/tv/vcr from a couple that's leaving. I have to make a call this weekend to the hostel owner where I stayed as he's the only person I know with a truck that can help me transport the fridge to my current place of residence. And he was so nice when I stayed there. Being that he worked as a delivery driver I'm sure that I can pay him a modest sum to have the goods delivered without breaking my back. I'm getting all 3 pieces plus a paper screen for $3000 NT (120 cdn) so I think a little $ for delivery is worth while. New fridges go for $5000 so it's a deal. I have to wait until mid-may for the couple to leave, but that's fine too as it will coincide with my next payday. I'm still trying to get used to being paid monthly.
Tonight I'm planning a trip to the local university to attend a speech club meeting. Hopefully it will turn out to be an enjoyable way to meet locals who want to practice English. And at the same time an opportunity to just meet friends who can teach me a little Mandarin. I also have plans Sunday afternoon to meet a lady here interested in Language Exchange.
I didn't get to tell you about my friend Charolette who has moved on from Taiwan. Friendships here can be so brief it's hard to keep you up to date. A native of Colorado, she left me a pile of Mandarin CDs, and learning manuals that are invaluable when she left for Venice. As well she donated a set of sheets and nice towels. I have been the beneficiary of such generosity! I only hope in giving away so much furniture when I left Calgary that I made others feel wonderful too. Of course, my sister deserves all the credit for handling the matters as I just up and left with her holding the apartment keys. THANKS SIS!
So, the day went well the evening will go well also and life is good.
It's just another HOT day in Taipei.
Love and Hugs... busy weekend ahead if I don't post, don't worry.
T. Destiny
Teachable, Trainable and Fixable.