Tonight I decided to take advantage of my last few days with a health card. There are things about Taiwan that really are just amazing. Like the
convenience of getting your teeth cleaned. It was faster than a speeding drill.
It wasn't hard to find a dentist. The poster of teeth being lasered in the window directly below my bedroom was a pretty big hint that they'd take care of me. It was reassuring to see a child come out of the chair and start kicking a little toy truck around the floor. Moments later I was staring up at a friendly stuffed animal hanging from the ceiling. Without x-rays, the dentist flashed some cold air around my mouth to see if I'd wince and happily pronounced that I have no cavities.
Ummmmm - okay?15 minutes, 150 NT ($6 Cdn.), and some bleeding gums later I achieved my goal of gunge-free teeth.

The dentist said I have beautiful teeth. I think that must be comparitvely speaking. Most Taiwanese children have terrible teeth. Some of my young kids have
brown or
auburn teeth. There's no flouride in the water here and my school director says that parents don't take care of the baby teeth because they fall out anyway. Maybe the kids are happier that way... I wonder if they're afraid of dentists.