A snapshot of my day:
I got up with my alarm for the first time this week. Maybe it was the thought of not eating with and spending my morning with children under the age of seven.
My feet were VERY cold this morning. I'm trying to toughen up but haven't managed to warm up to the cool weather yet. Last night the wind was howling around the building. To solve my cold feet issue I took a HOT shower that left my bathroom mirror happily steamy. Checked my empty e-mail inbox. Then I strolled down the street to a local eatery where I managed to order in Chinese and even got everything that I asked for! I didn't even point and grunt once.
I took a quick scooter ride into Taipei to find that happily it wasn't raining there like it was in Hsi-chih. I discovered along the way that I do some of my best writing while I'm driving. Unfortunately I haven't discovered how to hold onto that beautiful prose until I get to where I can write it down. I'm thinking a digital recorder with hands-free function would be good, but would it be practical?
Enjoyed church and potluck with friends then went to sing and pray with our pastor. He's just recovering from pneumonia. His bronchitis went further than mine.
Took a leisurely ride to my favorite little hang-out in Shida night market. Had a cup of coffee, chatted in english with some giggly college students. Drew cats and wrote in my journal at a leisurely pace. Ate at a Tempanyaki house near my hang-out. Then I strolled through the night market and spent money on things I don't really need but wanted at the 10 nt stores. I haven't splurged since I went to the symphony in September so I think I deserved it. Hopefully my purchases will help me brighten my otherwise white room.
There were an unsual number of police on the streets tonight pulling over scooters. This is not a sight I usually see more than once a week. It was enough to make me VERY cautious as I don't yet have my license. Rumour has it that white people are waved through the check-stops. The other rumour is that Taipei police speak enough English that they can still arrest you.
Ticked my novel over past 31,000 words tonight and now I'm ready to turn in after a very full and fulfilling Saturday. As an added bonus I was out of the house before my new roommate managed to hose himself down with cologne.
T. Destiny