Chinese Proverb: He who returns from a journey is not the same as he who left.




My Photo Links


Weather in Taipei: The WeatherPixie Weather in Calgary: The WeatherPixie

Check the latest weather in Taiwan. What is an NT worth in your home currency? xe.com


NaNoWriMo Winner
I actually wrote a novel.
tsimplyme got their Neopet at http://www.neopets.com

Photos (c) 2005, T. Destiny
All Rights Reserved

NeoPet Graphic (c) 2004 Neopets, Inc.
All Rights Reserved.
Used With Permission

Powered for Blogger
by Blogger templates

My Taiwan Adventure

Friday, November 18, 2005
Day 300
No celebration party, but here I am on day 300. Alone, in a cold white apartment. I'm less than thrilled with my progress today. I made the mistake of calculating my savings back to Canadian dollars. *wincing* Why is it when you're not happy that money seems to be the only reason that makes sense?

Today I talked to my Level 4 students, the only ones who can carry on a conversation, about Canada. I told them that I was going to try to make them pancakes (back and forth in Chinese until someone comes up with the word for pancakes) so I could share my maple syrup (more Chinese discussion about syrup). It's made from the sap (what's sap?) of the Maple tree. (Is that the one on the flag?) The leaf turns red in fall. (Blank looks.) Autumn. (ohhhhhhhh) Do you like pancakes? ("TEACHER I like!" This turns into a grammar discussion about "I like pancakes," and "Yes, I do." instead of incorrect "I like.") Aside from all-too frustrated and too brief conversations with the Dr., this is the most advanced English I get every week. Hey, at least Level 4 doesn't tell me to "die fat pig," which was the cheerful refrain from a student who left my class in tears earlier today. Another day, another satisfied student? Hardly.

A snapshot of Day 300
T. Destiny

Post a Comment



eXTReMe Tracker