It's a cold overcast fall day and if I close my eyes I can even pretend I'm back home. The courtyard is strangely silent and I'm nursing a cup of tea. Mentally, I am kicking myself that I didn't buy that fuzzy blanket at IKEA four weeks ago. Fortunately by using precisely all 5 sheets that I own I have devised a cover that kept me warm last night. With precision timing, my air-conditioner arrived today.
I went to school this morning, forewarned that we'd be making cookies in class. I thought that would be great 'cause I could escape being one of the crazy white teachers I've seen running through the nightmarket with hordes of dressed up kids in-tow shouting "trick-or-treat." Wouldn't you know it they had a box of 'extra' costumes at the school? Nerts.
They got me into the darned cape and hat - which I promptly doffed at the first opportunity. The co-teachers attempted bringing back the hat twice with the often repeated phraze "it's so cute." I was careful to note that they didn't offer to wear the hat themselves. The kids only tried that once and called me 'vampire teacher' once before I let them know that both weren't going to fly with me.
I made the appropriate fuss over the princesses and kings that magically appeared out of the classrooms. I even had one Snow White, an angel, a butterfly and a raccoon. It was quite cute. I mean, how can you resist a 4-6 year old in a cosutme with feather wings?
We made sugar cookies and decorated them with raisins and grape jelly. I wonder who had the idea of jelly before baking. It promptly burned. We made ONE quick Halloween parade down the block to one of the parent's stores for candy. Mercifully we only had to say "trick or treat" twice before returning to the warmth of the classroom with the aroma of freshly baked cookies.
The rest of my day has been reasonably unevenful. I didn't see any other kids running around in cosutme today. Halloween isn't as big here as it is back home. The three miserable little pumkins they brought to school turned out to be too expensive to turn into jack'o'lanterns. I'm glad they spared me the indignity of carving a leering smile into a poor orange vegetable. I'm too much of a perfectionist for that to be fun.
Warm thoughts for my friends and family.
With love,
T. Destiny