Chinese Proverb: He who returns from a journey is not the same as he who left.




My Photo Links


Weather in Taipei: The WeatherPixie Weather in Calgary: The WeatherPixie

Check the latest weather in Taiwan. What is an NT worth in your home currency? xe.com


NaNoWriMo Winner
I actually wrote a novel.
tsimplyme got their Neopet at http://www.neopets.com

Photos (c) 2005, T. Destiny
All Rights Reserved

NeoPet Graphic (c) 2004 Neopets, Inc.
All Rights Reserved.
Used With Permission

Powered for Blogger
by Blogger templates

My Taiwan Adventure

Sunday, October 23, 2005
The Teacher Within
I work 24 official teaching hours a week. I am at school for almost 50 hours a week. I don't really have much of a life beyond Teacher T. I even think of myself as "TEACHER." I live, eat, work and breathe lesson plans, games and flash cards. I wake up at 3 am with ideas for classroom management. It's not entirely healthy.

Over the past 2 months I've been sick 80 percent of the time. I am obsessed with school and with my kids. I love them, I really do, but I wish that I could stop thinking of them long enough to go to the store without seeing something that I think would be great for school. I'm more willing to spend money on new markers for the kids than I am a CD for myself. Not that there's anything wrong with being generous but when did other people's children become my priority in life?

I think back to my time teaching the university students in the summer. It was a joy having them understand me and my explanations of vocabulary, particles and sentance structure. I remember the satisfaction that came out of their drama performances at the end of the week. I remember all these things and I think.

I think that maybe I am a teacher. And who said I was my job anyway? Maybe I just need to find a way to round out my life so that is not ALL that I am. It would all be easier in a country where I wasn't battling with culture shock, illness, and lonliness.

Ha ha... it is a trap and not even a clever trap. The grass is NOT greener. And thus I find myself chasing my tail in a kind of battle with depression - hating the rain and hating the inconveniences that I once found charming and interesting. I am the only one that can fix what needs fixing in my head.

Wish me luck.
T. Destiny

Post a Comment



eXTReMe Tracker