For reasons I can not fully explain I started randomly searching the internet today for things to read. I stumbled on Lee Goldberg's
blog. Who is Lee Goldberg you ask? Just some writer dude with a sense of humour and more time on his hands than a sane person ought to have. He has written some books and even has a hand in several television series. Anyway, enough about Lee... I don't watch any t.v. in Taiwan so most of his commentary is lost on me but he had a link to the most amusing e-bay post. If you're bored, read about these
men's leather pants... it almost had me in tears it was so funny.
Things that I'm learning at school these days includes Lee Goldberg, piano chording, and all the different words of the alphabet that begin with P. Not to mention brushing up on some of my rudimentary HTML coding and learning a little more about cascading style sheets. I'm feeding my mind a wide variety of foods. Unfortunately it's not gaining any weight - the information seems to be sliding out as fast as I input it.
While I'm fiddling around with the new keyboard in the apartment my new roommate J. is expecting me to break into "Heart and Soul" any minute. I can only laugh. I learned it as a kid but I think I know "Chopsticks" slightly better. I'm probably annoying him with my heartfelt but pathetic attempts at music. (How's that for a buried topic sentence?)
I've finally begun to realize why my 6th grade band was subjected to several weeks of musical theory. It makes sense in a way now that it never did to my tiny teenage brain. I figured as long as I knew what the notes were in front of me that I would never need to know more. WRONG!
Now that I'm faced with the keyboard every night when I go home I have to at least learn to make a chord. What I have learned is:
W(whole) W, h (half), W,W,W, h.
What that means is I can make any major scale, and then by picking out note one, three and five I can make a chord. I'm sure you all find this fascinating enough to sleep by. If you really want to learn for yourself I recommend the theory on
8notes.com. Even better is the information at
Song Writer's Music Theory.
Other things that may or may not be of interest to you. October is proving to be a cool but not completely unpleasant month. Admittedly I find it a bit chilly now that the average day temperature has dropped from the 30s to the 25 range. I find it interesting how 5 little degrees can make a difference. Last night was positively cold... it may have dipped down to 20. No, I'm not asking for sympathy. I still expect it to get scorchingly hot before it settles into the rains of winter.
Oh yes, Taiwan is still trying to eat me alive. I'm battling with a cough that sounds more ominous then when the doctor checked me out. If it doesn't clear by the weekend I guess I'll take his advice and seek further medical treatment. Last night it felt like I was breathing liquid air. The humidity is about 65 percent right now and I think I've picked up a fungus too. My battle with the environment continues.
((HUGS)) and love.
T. Destiny