Dribbling noses and dribbling rain.
Each day seems to begin the same.
A couple of things happened last night. First I gave up. I gave up on ever thinking that my new apartment will be quiet. The urban sprawl of the country makes every square inch of space in Taiwan a used space. This means the enormous courtyard that my apartment overlooks becomes a playground, gym and excersize room for any that care to partake of it.
Monday looks like step dancing class with blaring music from Billy Rae Cirus to Chinese pop singers. Tuesday is a cross between Tai Chi and traditional folk dance. I can hardly wait to see what tonight's entertainment will be. While I have given up on competing with the amp-toting individuals I have begun doing the excersizes for free on my balcony. If I'm going to be forced by virtue of my living space to listen then I'm going to amuse myself. It actually felt good to work up a sweat from physical activity.
For the moment I remain blissfully alone in my cavernous domocile. I can not say that I miss living with other people. I enjoy having some space. Once more I am drawing. It was blissful to put my pencil to paper and create again. It's the first time in two months that I've been able to relax enough that I was able to "get the lead out."
To top of my count of blessings I have hot water and gas to cook with. I can actually make a cup of tea again! I also managed to order supper on my own completely in Chinese last night. Things that make the mixed blessings list include my somewhat meagre paycheck. I'm grateful to discover that the company is paying my tax and somewhat disgruntled to discover a clause that nobody bothered to tell me about that ended up deducting around $25 Cdn from my check. So, all in all things are a wash. I'm feeling better in the long run and hoping to continue feeling up. Yet, I know culture shock is all about MOOD swings for me so I'm not going to beat myself up if I don't feel great.
Wishing you all the best.
T. Destiny