The morning news reports that "King Dragon" Typhoon Longwang roared through Taiwan on the weekend. All I heard was a snort and a sneeze. I was busy sleeping for most of the weekend. My experience of the typhoon that set record breaking wind-speed records in Hualien was a few fitful gusts of air and the delicious sound of rain hammering on the roof to lull me to sleep. The only destruction I saw was a few downed street signs, tree branches and the photos published by the media. I'm glad I live in relatively sheltered Taipei. Hualien was quite a mess after the typhoon hit.
It always amuses me how requests or reprimands from your employer are thinly veiled with the courtesy of a discussion. When you're not doing precisely what they want they ask silly questions like, "What do you think we could do to get the students practicing their English more?" It is not that they want you to have an actual new idea on how students can participate more. What they really want is for you to spend even more time sitting around asking the same sentance pattern over and over. "Do you like bananas?" "Do you like mango?" "Do you like cats?" "Do you like standing on your head until all the blood rushes from your toes and you turn into a babbling nut?" The kids, meanwhile are wondering when you'll tire of the game because they've been bored of it since you taught it to them over the course of 2 hours already.
Keeping the chin up.
T. Destiny
_____________________