And you can come too, too, too...
Today was field trip day with the kindergarten class. They've been studying dinosaurs and the zoo has a nice dino exhibit that we were off to see. The weather was a very obliging cool 25 degrees with a slight wind that made it cool but not cold. The sun played peek-a-boo between the swiftly moving cottony clouds. The children were all dressed in matching shirts and shorts that coordinated with the teacher's shirts that I often avoid wearing.
With a well-trained group of 3-6 year olds the trip was not as exhausting as I might have originally anticipated. Sadly the dino exhibit was closed for some kind of renovation so we made due with a trip to the Reptile House. Lizards, frogs, snakes and turtles all lively behind glass made for interesting viewing. I've been there before but it was something else to experience with some very excitable little kids.
At one point near the end of the day on the transport "train" one of my smallest students (3 years old) took my hand with a very serious look that said, "Teacher, I'm glad you're here 'cause I'm tired. I don't need to, but I feel better holding your hand." It is that kind of moment that makes my heart go out to these little kids. It is the least legal thing I do here but the most satisfying.
On the bus back to the school it was dead silent as most of the children fell asleep. Who knew that 2 hours at the zoo is all it takes to poop out a youngster? I guess anybody who has children. It's almost enough to make me want one of my own.
_____________________