Chinese Proverb: He who returns from a journey is not the same as he who left.




My Photo Links


Weather in Taipei: The WeatherPixie Weather in Calgary: The WeatherPixie

Check the latest weather in Taiwan. What is an NT worth in your home currency? xe.com


NaNoWriMo Winner
I actually wrote a novel.
tsimplyme got their Neopet at http://www.neopets.com

Photos (c) 2005, T. Destiny
All Rights Reserved

NeoPet Graphic (c) 2004 Neopets, Inc.
All Rights Reserved.
Used With Permission

Powered for Blogger
by Blogger templates

My Taiwan Adventure

Sunday, October 23, 2005
274 - Ovaltine on Sunday

This morning I woke up to the sound of a jack hammer. What's noteworthy about that? Well, to be honest, nothing. Every morning I wake up to the sound of a jack hammer. This morning instead of thinking "Give me a break!" I was thinking "Don't those guys ever get a day off?" It represents a shifting of my mindset from "me, me, me," to something else. So, amidst the hustle and bustle of jack hammers, yapping dogs and laughing children I make my cross the courtyard trek to 7-11 to pick up a can of Ovaltine.

I remember trying Ovaltine as a kid. My great-grandfather offered it to me in a tiny orange house with a white picket fence. The sky was always blue with big, puffy, cartoon clouds. I would play with the wooden puzzles in the living room even though I could never solve them until my Baba would call "siddi and yeasta". (Hey I was only 5 or 6 - don't fault the spelling.) She didn't know any English and my tiny self only remembered her saying "sit and eat." I wonder if she had culture shock going to Canada like I am here in Taiwan.

The day my Geido allowed me to try Ovaltine was the same as another day in that house. It smelled of mothballs and I was playing with a set of miniature flags. One was white with a blue Star of David and I think the other one was blue and yellow - the Ukrainian flag. Geido was boiling water in the kitchen on a glass-topped stove. The shiny appliance was painted with big starbursts that were so fun to trace with my childhood finger. I was always told not to, but how could you resist a clean surface with geometric shapes? He communicated through gestures that I could have some too. The jar opened under his hand with a pleasant aroma, cutting through the naphthalene overtones of the house. I watched as he put the magic crystals in the hot water and stirred. After a few moments of sitting politely on my plastic covered kitchen chair, I took a sip. It was horribly bitter awful stuff.

There is a list in my head titled "Things I Hate" and as a child of 5 or 6 Ovaltine became list occupant number one. I forgot about Ovaltine for years after we moved from Saskatchewan. I really believed it no longer existed when I hit adult-hood. When I came to Taiwan I was shocked to see tins of it in the heated beverage section of 7-11. My friend Jeremy told me that it was great but I didn't believe him. Anything on the top of my list couldn't be good.

A week ago I wanted something different to drink. I was a little cold and a little tired and I thought "Ovaltine" might be worth another try. There was no Geido, he's buried now, and there were no mothballs or little flags, just me and a 7-11 clerk inside from the endless drizzling rain. I looked at the orange and blue tin skeptically and chuckled at my memories. The tin was 5 NT cheaper that a smaller can of coffee so I fished out my choice and put a cardboard hand protector on the hot tin (No McDonald's lawsuits here folks.), and proceeded to take a chance on "Things I Hate."

This morning I'm sitting on a hard plastic chair with the sound of jack hammers thundering through the air and eating some cold raisin toast and drinking my blue and orange tin of Ovaltine. Things I Hate is minus the number one object.

T. Destiny

Post a Comment



eXTReMe Tracker