Chinese Proverb: He who returns from a journey is not the same as he who left.




My Photo Links


Weather in Taipei: The WeatherPixie Weather in Calgary: The WeatherPixie

Check the latest weather in Taiwan. What is an NT worth in your home currency? xe.com


NaNoWriMo Winner
I actually wrote a novel.
tsimplyme got their Neopet at http://www.neopets.com

Photos (c) 2005, T. Destiny
All Rights Reserved

NeoPet Graphic (c) 2004 Neopets, Inc.
All Rights Reserved.
Used With Permission

Powered for Blogger
by Blogger templates

My Taiwan Adventure

Tuesday, August 09, 2005
My smallest class
Teaching my smallest class is an interesting change. They range in age from 3-4 years old and there is only 3 of them. They'd much rather sit in my lap, dance around or do anything but act like they're in school. I've only taught them twice but because I'm a big softy I suspect they're running over me because they can. It's a switch from 43 well-trained student clones.*laughs* I'm learning. Bribery works: "High-fives for anyone who sits down." Yet the youngest girl is still pouting because she isn't with her mom. At 3 years old I don't blame her.

The older kids are equally challenging in a different way. I've gone from this boot-camp style private school to an organization which treats me like gold, but lets the kids have a lot of free-reign. Classroom management is an art that I'm still learning. Especially since I'm still in summer school that has blended classes of students that can barely speak to those that are fluent. With September comes a more clear class system by language level.

My weight is not going to get any better if they keep trying to feed me at school. Breakfast at kindergarten when I get in, lunch in elementary and then snack in the afternoon. I'm going to have to start running during nap time just to wear off the high-cal foods. It's meant for the growing kids, not for the relatively sluggish teacher.

I can feel my language skills seeping away as I type this and I'm only on my second day. I'm teaching levels that are stunningly low. I saw the last exams and cringed. I hope to bring more learning to the kids and learning to myself. For now I'm going to try not to beat myself up and just EASE into the teaching.

Wish me luck.
T. Destiny
Teaching and training with toddlers outside Taipei.

Post a Comment



eXTReMe Tracker