Chinese Proverb: He who returns from a journey is not the same as he who left.




My Photo Links


Weather in Taipei: The WeatherPixie Weather in Calgary: The WeatherPixie

Check the latest weather in Taiwan. What is an NT worth in your home currency? xe.com


NaNoWriMo Winner
I actually wrote a novel.
tsimplyme got their Neopet at http://www.neopets.com

Photos (c) 2005, T. Destiny
All Rights Reserved

NeoPet Graphic (c) 2004 Neopets, Inc.
All Rights Reserved.
Used With Permission

Powered for Blogger
by Blogger templates

My Taiwan Adventure

Monday, August 01, 2005
Day 191 - Blur
The days are quiet. The air is humid like the calm before the storm and I wait. There is no word when I'll be moving north. Until that happens I'm staying with friends in the suburbs of Taipei. It is nice to have a kitchen. The first thing I cooked was an omellete. The cheese here leaves me a little whistful for good ol' Armstrong brand cheddar. Otherwise it was plain enjoyable to have a fry pan, sink full of dirty dishes and a meal cooked by my own hand. The second thing I tied into was a bag of home-made granola that I carried all the way in my luggage from Canada.

I'm biding my time quietly. I'm sure I'd disappoint many of you with my loafing on the couch reading a book, writing, watching my friend's fish or sketching. *laughs* But it is peaceful. I remind myself that this is a luxury that many others don't have. I am truly living a high-class life here in terms of salary. Or rather I have been. I'm going into a lower paying job and it brings me marginally closer to what non-whites are making in the country. I am agahst at what some people here survive on. It leaves me a little embarrased that my skin colour is so highly valued and even less reluctant than ever to pay what I jokingly call 'the white person tax.'

The time ticks on slowly as I wonder when the call will come from Ruifang. And the phone rings. *chuckles* I love how that happens. There is a small potential Wednesday will be my moving day up north. It is nice relaxing but it will also be good to go back to work. I hope all works out as rosy as my expectations. Yet, I know it will have bumps and bruises. I have no doubt I will be disillusioned somewhere along the way. All the same I am not afraid. I feel I'm on a bigger mission than my own comfort.

Any e-mail notes you care to send are welcome. With summer vacation most of my teacher friends are out of the country. Being between jobs and new contacts I feel a little lonely but not depressed. All the same, it'd be nice to hear from you all. I'm now counting the spare 3 weeks before my friend from England arrives. It gives me something to look forward to besides classes.

My best regards to all of you.
T. Destiny

Post a Comment



eXTReMe Tracker