Chinese Proverb: He who returns from a journey is not the same as he who left.




My Photo Links


Weather in Taipei: The WeatherPixie Weather in Calgary: The WeatherPixie

Check the latest weather in Taiwan. What is an NT worth in your home currency? xe.com


NaNoWriMo Winner
I actually wrote a novel.
tsimplyme got their Neopet at http://www.neopets.com

Photos (c) 2005, T. Destiny
All Rights Reserved

NeoPet Graphic (c) 2004 Neopets, Inc.
All Rights Reserved.
Used With Permission

Powered for Blogger
by Blogger templates

My Taiwan Adventure

Thursday, July 21, 2005
Tropical tricks
How is it that I'm in what people long for, a tropical paradise, and yet all my mind is doing is playing tricks?
I don't know how to justify being here. My visa trip has been achieved and I should be touring off to a tropical island and kicking back on the beach or hiking through the mountians and all I can do is see the hardship and the poor conditions for the people who live here day to day and wonder if I'm helping or hindering by being here.
I sat last night in what I feel is like one of the most depressing places of all - Khosan Road in Bangkok and I watched the locals hawk and pedal their wares to hundreds of "farang" (tourists). They are hoping to make a living or add to their meagre wages (average income for Thai 200 Baht a day). It is enough to make me almost ashamed to haggle for the cheap goods. Indeed, I have purchased nothing here but food, lodgings and some post cards from a retail shop in downtown Bangkok. I'm watching my own bankroll and wondering what to do with it. Part of me just wants to get on a flight and go back to Taiwan right now.

Is it possible that I feel shame that I come from a rich country? While I've never been wealthy, certainly in contrast to the Thai's, I am. Its an odd feeling that has left me saddened. I never understood the people who came back from places like the Bahamas only remembering the poorness they saw, but now I do. Is that why all the tourists get drunk in the evenings? To kill the voices that say "you could make a difference, but don't?" Okay - I'll make an effort to be more cheery.

On a happier note, I seem to have stumbled onto the annual Lent Parade for the monks. They spend a time fasting in early August. This is proceeded by a candle light parade that takes place tonight close to my hotel. There are gigantic carved wax floats that will come down the street. Maybe I'll stay a night longer.

Post a Comment



eXTReMe Tracker