Chinese Proverb: He who returns from a journey is not the same as he who left.




My Photo Links


Weather in Taipei: The WeatherPixie Weather in Calgary: The WeatherPixie

Check the latest weather in Taiwan. What is an NT worth in your home currency? xe.com


NaNoWriMo Winner
I actually wrote a novel.
tsimplyme got their Neopet at http://www.neopets.com

Photos (c) 2005, T. Destiny
All Rights Reserved

NeoPet Graphic (c) 2004 Neopets, Inc.
All Rights Reserved.
Used With Permission

Powered for Blogger
by Blogger templates

My Taiwan Adventure

Wednesday, July 13, 2005
Summer Camp Day 3
Wednesday dawned a little cooler with a nice refreshing breeze. I forgot to mention the multitude of bats that were at camp through the evening hours. It was purely amazing to see the air fille with hundreds of the industrious creatures. I really enjoyed the scenic area that we were housed in.

Wednesday we talked about cultural differences between Taiwan and North America. The students taught me so much during this time it was amazing. I learned that I'm not supposed to whistle in the dark here because it is considered unlucky. The basic premise is that it calls bad spirits to you. I joked with them and said maybe that's why I fell on Tuesday because Monday night I was whistling on my way back to the cabin. I'm not sure if they took me seriously or not. We talked a little about how I believe God will protect me from bad spirits. Our other class activity was music. We had a little competition to assemble the lyrics to Alanis Morrisette's song "Ironic." While the atmosphere was pretty informal I think the students learned a lot from us. They certainly were eager to use the new vocabulary we were teaching.

In the afternoon we went down to the swimming pool. I got to watch the students suddenly turn VERY shy when faced with the water and the prospect of swimming suits. The Taiwanese are pretty reserved when it comes to showing their bodies. Half the girls didn't go in the water. I didn't join in either despite wanting to desperately. I was still healing my tattoo and the new scrapes wouldn't have been pretty in the water either. Plus here you have to wear a bathing cap when you go into pools and I find that very unappealing. However, cheering on the students who did swim in their games was fun. The neat thing is that half the pool was covered with a shade to block the incredible rays of the sun. We rounded off the afternoon with karaoke.

The evening ended with another movie and then I socialized with some of the students before my medical team arrived with their iodine bottle and warnings to "be careful all the time."

Post a Comment



eXTReMe Tracker