Chinese Proverb: He who returns from a journey is not the same as he who left.




My Photo Links


Weather in Taipei: The WeatherPixie Weather in Calgary: The WeatherPixie

Check the latest weather in Taiwan. What is an NT worth in your home currency? xe.com


NaNoWriMo Winner
I actually wrote a novel.
tsimplyme got their Neopet at http://www.neopets.com

Photos (c) 2005, T. Destiny
All Rights Reserved

NeoPet Graphic (c) 2004 Neopets, Inc.
All Rights Reserved.
Used With Permission

Powered for Blogger
by Blogger templates

My Taiwan Adventure

Friday, July 22, 2005
More Bangkok Blues
Greetings,
A rambling post to you all:

This morning I woke up with a visa to go back to Taiwan and no other plans. Attempts at getting in touch with my friend who is teaching here have, so far, been impotent. I took the opportunity this morning to scout out a place to go and checked into a better hotel (at twice the price) but hey it has a/c, a tv and a pool. No real ambience to speak of though. But it is quiet and secure and it was a good place to lay down during the heat of the day and try to nap off the headache.

The headache is still with me, but I bought a new CD/VCD/MP3 player at a pretty reasonable price. The fake 'sony' label is quite amusing. But the great thing about the cd player is once I buy a tv I can use it to play VCDs which are the cheap standard in Asia. I bought some CD's to keep myself amused too. Frank Sinatra, Damien Rice, and Enya are included in my choices. I also went shopping for some clothes and ended up purchasing a new bikini because I needed one and three wrap around skirts. The total for my shopping binge was $65 cdn for the player, $30 for the CDs and $10 for the clothes. Of them all I think the clothes will last the longest.

Tomorrow I'm going to try going to HuaHin by bus. The drive should take under 4 hours and it's supposed to be even cheaper there than Bangkok. Not that paying $6 for a hotel room is going to break me but I just laid out some "serious" cash for the CD player. I consider it worthwhile since I've been without any source of music or even a radio to stay up to date on typhoon warnings in Taiwan. And we ARE entering typhoon season. Contrary to popular belief, electronics are NOT cheap in Taiwan.

Anyway - I ran into a few nice people during my time here. All the westerners kind of cluster around Khosan Road because it's such a cheap place to stay. I dare say that I'm in one of the most expensive hotels in the area. I've gone from 150-390-650. The worse my head feels the more cushy my accommodations. Hopefully tomorrow all will be better. I haven't eaten anything strange so that is not the cause. Though I did notice the pollution was bad today. Worse than Taipei for sure. I know I'm not feeling well because I didn't make it to the monk's lent parade and I have only taken 3 photos since I started this journey.

I'll keep you posted as to my progress.

T Destiny
Teacher, Traveller, Tourist

Post a Comment



eXTReMe Tracker