Chinese Proverb: He who returns from a journey is not the same as he who left.




My Photo Links


Weather in Taipei: The WeatherPixie Weather in Calgary: The WeatherPixie

Check the latest weather in Taiwan. What is an NT worth in your home currency? xe.com


NaNoWriMo Winner
I actually wrote a novel.
tsimplyme got their Neopet at http://www.neopets.com

Photos (c) 2005, T. Destiny
All Rights Reserved

NeoPet Graphic (c) 2004 Neopets, Inc.
All Rights Reserved.
Used With Permission

Powered for Blogger
by Blogger templates

My Taiwan Adventure

Thursday, August 11, 2005
The first week back
I have one more day to go on my first week back at school. I've come close to tears a couple of times. Mostly I'm learning the value of asking questions. I've always had a hard time with that. I'm too stubborn and proud to admit that I don't know everything. Which is just plain silly. How can I expect myself to know where the flashcards are if I've never even been told about them? The end decision on my part is to take my frustration with a healthy dose of salt, lighten up and learn to swallow said pride in order to make my life easier.

Today we went on a field trip to a very nice cafe and enjoyed 'international' cuisine. The cafe is a collective run by 10 different nationalities of foreigners. It's a very nice concept and a great location. I look forward to going back without 21 little bodies all pressing for attention. It was quite funny when the school actually allowed students to order coffee and then seeing their faces when they realized how bitter it is. They ended up making multiple requests for sugar. You don't want to know what 4 teaspoons of sugar in an adult sized coffee is going to do to these kids. Fortunately I'm off the hook for that fall-out. We juiced them up and sent them home!

I'm enjoying the new job despite my difficulties and am tickled to get back "behind" the desk. I look forward to starting a new school year with all the students and seeing actual progresssion. With only 30 or so students it will be easier than with 550. I'm sure I'm rambling again so I'll cut this all short.

I saw something funny last night. When a delivery man wants to drop something off but there's traffic blocking the door he'll just calmly move your scoooter down the block. This is important to know if you're about to take possession of a scooter. Don't panic just walk up and down the block.

My boss N. 'lost' her scooter for a couple of months only to find it in the junkyard. It's good she found it as it was slated to be trashed the next day. We figure somebody took it for a joyride and then just ditched it there. I'm wondering how many other scooters end up there and if they're cheap and easy to buy. Of course, I need my official papers for that and I can't process those for another week at least. I still need a Chinese name too.

My new apartment is clean, tidy and there's nothing in the kitchen to cook with. But there is a kitchen, fridge and cupboards. I'm being given breakfast, lunch and a snack at school so I don't really need to cook. I'm eating one of Subway's sandwiches with less than 7 grams of fat for supper in hopes of making some dent in my waistline and I'm skipping the snack every other day. Okay, I'm vain and I want to look good when my friend from England comes, okay? (Gavin don't read that last line!) Only 9 more days to go before he arrives.

Well, that's about all that's new that I have to share. Take care all.

Cheers,
T. Destiny

Post a Comment



eXTReMe Tracker