I feel like somebody ran me over with an ice cream truck. Why ice cream? I awoke this morning curled in a fetal ball desperately clutching my currently meager covers. My electric blanket is still in ChangHua and I didn't sleep well for the cold. I awoke often shifting my body into ever smaller stature trying to stay in a little nest of warmth. I dare say I'll be making a run down south to claim the rest of my belongings after my first payday.
The spring weather in Taipei is apparently extremely changeable. The helpful media has warned the local population to take care of their health during this season.
While I'm still hoping it remains relatively cool for a while longer I'm also fussy enough to want it to be warm enough so I can sleep comfortably. I am reminded that Calgary is also prone to swings of weather at this time of year. However, Calgary has some form of central heating to compensate for the temperature change!
I want pure homey comfort today and I think the poor sleep has something to do with the urge to go crawl under a rock. Even though the students bring a smile to my face everytime they say hello to me in the halls, (They finally know my name!) my classes today were all pressing my limited patience. I refuse to believe that my lesson plans are poor enough to cause a revolt in all my classes. Maybe I'm just too sensitive today because I'm tired.
On the positive side I was invited to go to a new lunch place near the school that sports some really good tomato soup and green onion pancake "slivers" which are really filling and tasty to boot. I also found a good place close to home for pasta. For less than $4 Cdn. I can get a full plate of pasta with salmon in a cream sauce. In addition, I'm a fan of a local place that makes savory crepes filled with meat/salad. It's all the kind of economical local fare that will enable me to save some money. As long as I can steer clear of indulging in too many $20 pizzas! Maybe next time I'll just go to pizza hut down the street.
I'm having the desire to spend a few thousand just to make my life more comfortable. I think one good laptop and an internet connection at home would be a life-saver at this point.
Here's the potential list of purchases in no particular order:
- hair dryer
- fan and/or space heater
- dehumidifier
- mini fridge
- electric kettle
- wardrobe to hang clothes
- storage boxes
- TV
- dvd/cd/vcd player
- laptop
I'm going to have to try and prop up my spirits tonight. Been struggling all day with the temptation to go light up a cigarette. Is this what they mean by three month blues? I'm not terribly happy at the moment. Even knowing that I like teaching and that the students know my name only brings a wan smile to my face.