Chinese Proverb: He who returns from a journey is not the same as he who left.




My Photo Links


Weather in Taipei: The WeatherPixie Weather in Calgary: The WeatherPixie

Check the latest weather in Taiwan. What is an NT worth in your home currency? xe.com


NaNoWriMo Winner
I actually wrote a novel.
tsimplyme got their Neopet at http://www.neopets.com

Photos (c) 2005, T. Destiny
All Rights Reserved

NeoPet Graphic (c) 2004 Neopets, Inc.
All Rights Reserved.
Used With Permission

Powered for Blogger
by Blogger templates

My Taiwan Adventure

Friday, April 08, 2005
77.25 How far is it?
The distance between Taipei, Taiwan and Calgary, Alberta, Canada, as the crow flies: 6198 miles / 9974 km (5386 nautical miles)

Paperwork:
Everything in Taiwan has a place and a time. Last week I was told at the consulate that I couldn't get a resident visa because I was asking for it while I had a visitor's visa (Um? It can't be changed?) which made no sense to me and still makes no sense. Today's task: get my passport with renewed visitor visa from the Taiwan consulate then go to the police station to apply for a resident visa. Sounds pretty simple. Or is it?

The same lady at the counter who told me last week that she couldn't give me a resident visa kept me waiting 25 minutes this morning while she talked to 2 co-workers and then someone on the phone, presumably a supervisor, in Chinese. All the while I'm sweating it out wondering if they're going to throw me out of the country because she won't let me see my passport let alone touch it! The whole time they were gesturing at my passport and paperwork and talking I just kept praying - occasionally faking a smile with neatly folded hands. Not showing any distress because that would theoretically cause them embarrassment.

Finally she addresses me "We can give you a resident visa. You need to pay $1000 NT more. Come back on this date." Now, pardon me for being confused but WHY can they do it this week and not last week?! And why are they offering to do something that I haven't even mentioned when I came to pick up the passport? *shaking her head* Welcome to Taiwan. Bureaucracy reigns.

This whole episode has caused some level of confusion because I'm the only one who has had this experience. Another teacher had the self-same task as I did today and presumably (I haven't talked with her yet) she got her passport and went to the police station as ordered. I am however, very greatful that things seem to be progressing forward in the grand paper-trail of my life.

Classroom:
Today is one of my easier days for teaching. Grade 8 Girls in the morning and Grade 4 in the afternoon. Just 2 classes with loads of prep time for the rest of the week. I enjoy Fridays immensely because the students are so engaging and the weekend is right around the corner!

Classes went well today. I shared photos of Calgary with Grade 4 and I think I have to revise the presentation before I share it with another class. I heard boredom setting in around the 4th or 5th cityscape. Grade 8 was kind of interesting I'm doing "soundscape" projects and have given them homework where they have to watch a movie before next class. I think they'll really enjoy this project that I've sketched out.

Not much more to share. I might try to get together with some folk in Keelung this weekend. My other 2 missions are buying a fan for my bedroom as it is getting close to 30 above during the days and finding another art store to explore canvas costs.

Oh - more mail went out today. Maybe YOU have won the mail lottery!
Love and Hugs
T. Destiny

Post a Comment



eXTReMe Tracker