Chinese Proverb: He who returns from a journey is not the same as he who left.




My Photo Links


Weather in Taipei: The WeatherPixie Weather in Calgary: The WeatherPixie

Check the latest weather in Taiwan. What is an NT worth in your home currency? xe.com


NaNoWriMo Winner
I actually wrote a novel.
tsimplyme got their Neopet at http://www.neopets.com

Photos (c) 2005, T. Destiny
All Rights Reserved

NeoPet Graphic (c) 2004 Neopets, Inc.
All Rights Reserved.
Used With Permission

Powered for Blogger
by Blogger templates

My Taiwan Adventure

Tuesday, March 22, 2005
Tuesdays Trials
Greetings All,

Today is not even half over and I'm craving a call from home. A man from New York landed in the hostel last night. I felt bad for the new comer who was so stressed out and worried about, finding work, drinking the water, getting an ARC. I had to praise God that I am so relaxed in this foreign country in comparison to a lot of the other new residents. I am however still worried about my visa/ARC application as the company has been fairly silent on this. I've called every day to find out and keep being told, "don't worry -tommorrow we will have the documents. " Today I'm going to call once more and if there is no action, I'll start calling other people in the company.

I've stayed late every night in the office trying to get lesson plans that are good enough to keep the students attention. There are so many students to try and reach 550+ is a lot of wonderful little people to try and connect with. Some of them are so sweet. I got my first "teacher gift" from one of the students - a little candy and a chocolate wafer. It was adorable and touched my heart. Though it can be hard to remember that when faced with 43 students who would rather chat, doodle and play then listen, behave and participate. More games for students in classrooms I think. Anything to get them participating.

Thank you to those of you whom have written. I sent out another batch of a dozen postcards yesterday. *smiles* People here are impressed that I write e-mail, blog, send mail AND keep a personal journal. I guess I like writing? Or it is a way to pass the time when I'm not busy creating new memories.

A little more about the area I work in: I can go shopping at Channel, Gucci and Rolex at lunch! Yeah - that's going to happen?! *not* SOGO (a big Japanese store) is right beside the school and there are bookstores nearby. Books are a past time here for people which is a nice thing to see. There are also some nice restraunts near by which I try and steer away from. Until my first paycheck rolls in -200 NT for a meal is outside of my budget. I share an office with the other foreign teachers on the 5th floor of the junior high building. We have one old computer that I want to kick from time to time. I'm still plotting about getting a laptop.

I haven't been sleeping well lately - too much on my mind. As it is getting hotter I keep praying that God will make spring last longer here. The hostel has air conditioning but I question whether it has been working properly for the last two nights. My body seems to be perpetually hot and I cringe to think of summer in the sweltering heat and humidity. The school is all airconditioned as is the foreign teacher's office so that is a blessing. Running from building to building is sometimes tiresome, but I'm getting better organized in the process of learning which classes are where and what I need to take with me. No more mountains of paper to haul around if I can help it. I returned exams today so that lightened my backpack considerably!

Okay - I've typed myself out of the home-sick feeling. I'm off to lunch, maybe I'll even take advantage of naptime today to actually take a nap.

Love and Hugs
T. Destiny

Post a Comment



eXTReMe Tracker