Greetings All,
It is the end of a very long and emotionally exhausting day. I do not want to say too much as I'm prone to being pretty depressed when I'm this tired. It was pretty hard to watch some of the 4th graders cry when they found out that their beloved teacher was leaving. I felt guilty (even though I knew I shouldn't) over something that is not within my control. It was pretty awful to have to see how heart-broken the kids were. They kept trailing behind myself and the out-going teacher.
I've a much clearer idea now of what I'll be doing at the school. Hold your breath for this... I've over 500 students in total! I'll be teaching all the grade 4 students English but I don't have to cover grammar or phonics. My job is to ensure that they develop listening skills and a bettter understanding of English from a native speaker. I get to write my own curriculum and lesson plans. I've got free-reign for the most part over what I choose to do as long as they have the pre-requisite "listening tests" 3 or 4 times this semester.
In addition to the grade 4 English classes I have drama classes for grades 5-8 both boys and girls. Again the curriculum is up to myself and I have only to meet the requirements for grading that the school has set-out. The books for the grade 4 class were set at the beginning of the year and there is a basic time schedule set-out for their lessons so I'll be following that guideline and am happy to have the basic structure in place. Though next week I've an "extra class" because it is test week and I'll be using that to structure the class, introduce myself and give a quick lesson on winter/snow and Calgary. I'm thinking in the vocabulary I'll introduce will include Chinooks!
Today I helped the out-going teacher by reading some of her lesson to the class as she has managed to loose her voice. I suspect it has to do with the stress and pollution. I was greatful to have the time with her to pick her brain and get an idea of what is expected of me. I'm really excited by the drama classes and the freedom that this particular school offers.
The staff meeting tonight was enlightening and I've a more fully formed opinion that nothing in Taiwan is what it seems. There are no perfect jobs and certainly managment is the same world-wide. Just a little left of centre. *smiles* Sincerely, I think after a full day at the school the staff meeting on no food was a little much for my brain to handle today. Fortunately I think I managed to keep myself from stuffing my foot too far in my mouth. I think. *clears her throat* At the very least, the contract is now signed and I'm officially contracted to work at Fuxing Middle School in Taipei.
Now the push is on to get as much of my ARC application under-way as possible before my last 10 days runs out and I have to leave the country. My friend Jeremy was able to get an extention of his visitor visa by showing a letter of intent but I think the police in Taipei itself might be a little less lenient than those in smaller towns. It remains to be seen what will happen.
Your letters are appreciated.
To answer the question "what happened to the second candidate." It was left up to the placement agency whom they wanted to recommend. They chose me based on my apparent skill in drama and student participation in my demo.
BTW - $5 later in postage... another round of mail has departed my hands in Taipei.
Love and Hugs to those who want them. Your's greatfully accepted.
T. Destiny