Yesterday (Friday) I spent observing several different classes with the School in Ruifang/Keelung. I think that I met most of my potential co-workers too. The day was a long one and I can definately tell that I've been on vacation for the last month because by the end of the day I was very tired. I couldn't wait to crawl into bed and sleep. My shoulder was still twinging a bit through the whole day, but has now dramatically improved from 3 days ago.
I can tell you that during what is essentially a 12 hour interview you don't end up faking anything! It probably helps employers here weed out the people who are just pretending to be interested in teaching. From what I've seen I'm now certain this organization allows enough flexibility that I won't grow bored of teaching with them anytime in the foreseable future. That's a really wonderful thing to discover. After my last interview I was scared that the curriculum in all the schools were going to be terribly regimented. With my interest in learning styles the ability to have flexibility is a wonderful prospect.
The kids were absolutely adorable. All of them. Even the trouble makers. (Though I'm sure it will be different when I'm at the front of the class!) It was really interesting to see how the problem cases were dealt with. Corporal punishment here is still actively used as a method of discipline. However, what I witnessed yesterday was all the dramatics with none of the actual beating. *chuckles* The threat sure did get the kids in-line fast though. That's one of the things that sets this school apart from the others that I have seen. The threat of a beating is enough to get the kids attention, but the reality is saved for really extreme acts of disrespect.
It was wonderful fun to meet so many other English speakers and talk in my native language for the whole day! I have enough in common with the people that I met which makes the prospect of working in Keelung a good one. I hope that after my full-day that they still want me to teach with them. Tomorrow I'm meeting with one of the owners to discuss the day and a possible contract.
I've come to the perhaps erroneous conclusion that all English teachers in Taiwan are either missfits from their home-lands or want to come here to surf! I'll have to make it to one of the surfing spots sometime in the next couple of months to watch. Maybe I'll even take up the sport? Ummmm.... no. I'm not really at home in the water and pretty certain that isn't going to change any time soon. I think it takes a different breed of person to come here and make a successful life-change. Not every teacher here enjoys what they have elected to do, but I hope that I will be one of the ones that learns to adapt.
Perhaps because of the long-term contact with other foreigners yesterday I found myself homesick today. Not terribly longing to be back in the Alberta cold, but just interested in finding a comfy place to hole up and have coffee with a good friend. And hugs. Lots of friendly hugs. I miss those most of all. Funny how that didn't even occur to me as being one of the things that would make me sad. I guess I always took friendly skin touch for granted. Like they say, you don't miss it until it's not there anymore.
One thing that made my heart very sad today: The stray dogs here are numerous and today there was one trotting through the park that had obviously been a treasured puppy at one point. He has outgrown his collar and it is cutting into his neck. There are open bleeding sores around the too-tight collar and he cowers when anyone gets close to him. My heart was breaking for this dog who is slowly strangling or starving to death. I only wish that I had a knife and some help to free him of that blasted collar. It was hard to see and I had to choke back the tears but at that point in time I was powerless to help him. I know I can not save the world, but if I have opportunity to do something good I would like to take advantage of that situation.
Something that made me happy:
They sky has been clear here for two whole days! Today was pretty chilly though. I went back to Yangmingshan because of the clear skies. I was able to see more of the cherry trees in bloom as well as the azalea gardens. I also hiked up to the flower clock (which was unimpressive) and a scenic viewing pavilion. I would have spent more time in the mountains but even though the sky was mostly clear the wind had a sharp edge to it. It reminded me of the weather on a cold crisp fall day just before the leaves fall back home in Alberta.
An example of the cherry blossoms:
http://www.ali.org.tw/en/ecard/ecard2.php?id=6I enjoyed my time in the mountains. Although all the tourist attractions are much more crowded on the weekends I've found the secret to solitude amongst the crowds. It's simple. Take the path with the most stairs. I've come to learn that the Taiwanese in general will not walk anywhere that requires a modicum of sweat. So, I huff and puff my way up the stairs. After far too long behind a desk, I'm sadly out of shape and Taiwan has a LOT of stair filled paths. It would be nice if the stairs were at least the same size/distance apart. However, the stairs are most often hazardous and it is a wonder I haven't twisted my ankle worse than a slight mistep now and then. I wandered about a bit through the woods until I was certain that my body couldn't take too much more of the cold bitter wind and then went back down to the more touristy areas.
If you've ever wondered why there are so many beautiful photos of the orient I have figured out the answer. It is because of the proliferation of cameras here. I had to laugh when one tree covered in cherry blossoms has 6 or 7 people trying to take photos all from different angles. People here are amazingly polite when it comes to photo taking. They're very quick to move out of what they percieve to be your line of fire. A very fun part of the digital camera revolution is the way that people now share photos. I had a couple come over and ask to see some of my photos. It was kind of fun to be able share on the spot.
I watched the crowds and they watched me. It's different being a visible minority. It's one more of the things that I didn't expect when I moved here. I knew I'd be different, but I didn't expect the palpable eyes watching me. I'm constantly surprised when people speak English to me on the buses, at the train stations, or in restraunts. I'm obviously not used to Taipei as they speak much more English than the rural areas I've been travelling.
The day was a good one and filled with memories of sights and sounds that I hope I'll remember for years to come. The scent of the flowers, the beautiful yellow birds perched in trees with flowers of beautiful pink. The azalea bushes a riot of purple, red, pink and white. The people all happy and milling about. Very happy memories. Though I was momentarily sad for myself and for the stray dogs, I know that time will bring about the changes that are necessary for myself to adapt and for Taiwan to continue to be a society with growing awareness of how their actions affect their country.
Thank you all for your continued concern, good wishes and friendly email greetings.
I treasure your friendship.
Be well.
T. Destiny