Chinese Proverb: He who returns from a journey is not the same as he who left.




My Photo Links


Weather in Taipei: The WeatherPixie Weather in Calgary: The WeatherPixie

Check the latest weather in Taiwan. What is an NT worth in your home currency? xe.com


NaNoWriMo Winner
I actually wrote a novel.
tsimplyme got their Neopet at http://www.neopets.com

Photos (c) 2005, T. Destiny
All Rights Reserved

NeoPet Graphic (c) 2004 Neopets, Inc.
All Rights Reserved.
Used With Permission

Powered for Blogger
by Blogger templates

My Taiwan Adventure

Thursday, March 10, 2005
The long awaited job
Greetings All,

So as I was about to write at day 49 things get a little tight. The visitor visa is only 60 days long and I wasn't particularly interested in doing a "visa run" by flying out of the country for a day only to turn and come back. When I was typing the phone rang and the first words were "Are you sitting down?!" I don't know why I thought it might be a joke, but I did. I couldn't possibly conceive that I had the job. The person on the phone then went about to describe the situtation. That the school had picked two people from the short-list (that I miraculously made) and that I was one of them. They had asked for his impressions and recommendation. He recommended me based on my theatre/acting background and asked for my assurance that I really CAN teach English. Of course I said YES. That is, after all, what I moved to Taiwan to do.

Things here move fast when they happen. So my day consisted of being on cloud nine and text messaging EVERYBODY I know in Taiwan. *laughs* And then I went to the hospital and had my medical examination done. It must be presented in order to get my ARC. I also swung by the FIEC (The company that recruited me for the school.) office to pick up a copy of the contract to look over before I officially begin working. Tomorrow I'm set to observe the departing teachers whole day and then there is a staff meeting in the evening that I'm to attend. *chuckles* I'm exhausted just thinking about it. I've spent the whole day being excited and now suddenly I'm nervous!

I'm sure I can handle this... it is just moving faster than I'm accustomed to.


The miracle of this job is that it happened when all odds were against me. I made the short-list of candidates even though I interviewed after the list was completed. I didn't really want to go to the interview as it was for a job in Taipei and I didn't want to live here and I didn't know anything about the position. I just went because I needed the interviewing experience. They squeezed me in for a demo Drama lesson when there was no time to do an English lesson. Because of the children participating in that lesson and my energy and well-written resume I got the edge on others. Not only all that but this is a position that is currently held by a certified B.Ed. and I'm waltzing in to fill some pretty big shoes! *shakes her head* Wow! I'm telling you it was a miracle that this close to my visa deadline a job that is suited to my personality has appeared!

Good things about the job:
  • 8 to 5 on site. Which allows me to do "language exchange" in the evenings.
  • Only 20-24 working hours a week. The other hours are for preparing/grading.
  • Monday through Friday. I get the weekends to travel/paint/write/visit.
  • Good Salary that allows me to travel/paint/write/visit.
  • Central Taipei location that allows me to live just about anywhere in the city.

So my next challenge becomes my living situation. Currently I'm installed in a cell like room in the TaiwanMex hostel. It's affordable and clean enough that I feel comfortable renting it a week at a time until I find a place that is suitable to my current status. I don't really feel like signing a one year lease however. *thinking* I'll have to find an alternative that works for me. The 2 bedroom "roomettes" at the hostel are large enough for a small wardrobe that could provide some needed space for me. As it is I can hardly get in and out without tripping on my one bag.

All my business clothes are in ChangHua with Jeremy and I'm to start teaching on Monday. So I'm thinking a weekend run down south is in order. I'd like at the very least to have a suit jacket and decent shoes for Monday. First impressions are important, not only for the administration, but to gain the children's respect. As I recall from my childhood, at grades 5-8 the kids can be pretty brutal on teachers that they think are push-overs. I don't want that particular experience so I'm going to try and minimize it.


I'm really getting the ART itch badly again so I want room to paint. I've the courage to tackle a really BIG canvas right now. Probably because I know nobody will be able to see me work on it! However, I suspect once I'm directing my energies at the school lessons some of this drive will be minimized. I've had FAR too much time on my hands for the last 2 weeks.

Anyway - more later. As you ask questions I'll do my best to answer them. Rest assured this job is very attractive in pay and hours. No complaints there at all.

Post a Comment



eXTReMe Tracker