Chinese Proverb: He who returns from a journey is not the same as he who left.




My Photo Links


Weather in Taipei: The WeatherPixie Weather in Calgary: The WeatherPixie

Check the latest weather in Taiwan. What is an NT worth in your home currency? xe.com


NaNoWriMo Winner
I actually wrote a novel.
tsimplyme got their Neopet at http://www.neopets.com

Photos (c) 2005, T. Destiny
All Rights Reserved

NeoPet Graphic (c) 2004 Neopets, Inc.
All Rights Reserved.
Used With Permission

Powered for Blogger
by Blogger templates

My Taiwan Adventure

Wednesday, March 23, 2005
Extended Stay
Greetings All,

I'm officially allowed to stay in Taiwan. For 9 whole more days. The visa extension did not go as smoothly as anticipated and in true beaurocratic style I have to jump through some paperwork hoops. Basically, I went with the papers the agency gave me and had no idea what I was really doing, but blindly stumbled through the process only to be told that I need a different piece of paper. I aske if 9 days was enough for my school to produce the paper and the police assured me that it is. So I imagine I'll be repeating this process all over again next week.

It rained last night in a wonderful storm. It started out lightly enough but then there were buckets of water slamming against the pavement, bouncing high enough that even with an umbrella I was soaked to the knees. I wonder if there is a trick to walking in that kind of rain that I don't know yet? I don't know why I expected there not to be lightnening in Taiwan, but there was also a good light show last night. It was pretty nifty to see the nature in the city. I just flat out enjoy watching that kind of thing. Today is overcast and drizzly but I'm glad it no longer feels like I'm in a hot dryer with still-wet laundry.

I was out in the rain on my journey to the SDA hospital to have some welts/hives checked out by the doctors there. Turns out that I'm having an allergic reaction to something undetermined. They gave me a shot of antihistamines because one of the welts was almost softball size and I promptly fainted at the doctor's desk. I was coming to when they asked if I was okay and I replied "no." They then wheeled me off on a gurney to a recovery room where I napped for a short time before being released with a referral to see the dermatologist at the hospital to help determine what the rash is from.

This is the second time I've broken out like this here in Taiwan so I think it important that I find out what is going on. I'll toddle over to the hospital after work tonight and see if I can get in tonight or maybe Friday. The doctor also gave me a perscription for antihistamines for the rest of the week. The welts are interesting. Some of them flicker colour with my pulse and they also burn and itch unpleasantly if I think about them. The current "guess what the welts are" pool has 2 votes for spider bites and one vote for mites. Please don't worry too much I'm doing what I can to take care of the problem. I suspect this is all part of the risk you take when travelling in an unfamiliar country and staying in a variety of not so good accommodations.

Total cost for emergency room visit, shot, perscription and a gurney to nap on: $860 NT. Which is less than $40 cdn. so I really have nothing to complain about. Yes, I have travel insurance... no, I don't think this is worth making a big deal over, and no, I'm not interested in filling out reams of paperwork for such a small sum.

The antihistamines made me really drowsy and I napped on the MRT on the way back to the hostel. I also had the best nights sleep. Plus my last class yesterday with the challenging boys went really well so I was in a good mood up until I fainted. *chuckles* Well, there I go creating more interesting memories! I'll keep you posted as to my progress. Off to work some more - today is my slow day where I get to do most of my class prep for next week.

Love and Hugs.
T. Destiny

Post a Comment



eXTReMe Tracker