I really should give you all a full accounting of the last two weeks. My time with Gavin kind of swept me away from daily blogging/emailing. I must say after eight long years of waiting it was a true pleasure and priviledge to make his personal acquaintance. I am romantically minded as always and can close my eyes and think of people in the early 1900's sharing years of mail before they met. Gavin has been my e-mail version of the same story. *laughs* I can picture him reading this and positively rolling his eyes in both pride and embarrasment.
It all began one warm sunny Sunday outside Taipei as I awaited a plane at the airport. There are many comfortable leather sofas placed in the arrivals area to lounge on while you watch the close-circuit cameras that are placed conveniently at the doorway leading from customs. I had Gavin's picture with me and had spent sometime considering what to wear and even had made a little card for him in English and Chinese so he could find his way back to my apartment just in case he got lost. I alternately sat and stood and was admittedly nervous.
The nerves didn't pass quickly. The longer I had to wait the wose my nerves got. I had arrived early enough that I knew I wouldn't miss him, but underestimated the time it would take for him to clear customs and retrieve his luggage. As I watched other passengers disembark I had terrible visions of him being some horribly fat, bald man who had tricked me all these years into meeting him. My impatience grew as the time ticked over an hour after his plane had landed. Maybe he didn't get on the right plane in Bangkok or his picture was really out of date. So many fascinating thoughts that were doing nothing to calm me while I poked about from one place in the waiting area to another.
Eventually I thought I spotted him, but I couldn't be sure as I was expecting somebody a little nervous looking and definately single. The man I saw was reasonably self-assured and paying deliberate attention to a buxom, albiet short, woman with a plethora of braids. I made eye-contact and stared at him as he passed by but there was only minimal recognition. After a 3 second pause as I pondered the situation I called his name.... he didn't turn around. I was slightly irritated by that and I decided to go tap him on the shoulder, show him his own photo and ask if he was Gavin's twin. I don't think I got the words out before we were hugging.
My frustration melted in the wonderful embrace of someone I had "cyber-hugged" for years. It was even with a smile that I told him what I was going to ask him when I showed him his own photo. He explained the woman was a fellow Canadian who had spent some time chatting with him enroute. After waiting a bit to say goodbye to her, we toddled off into the sunset. When Gavin complained of the warmth outside waiting for the bus and I cringed inwardly. I'm glad I didn't know at the time he would end up sick for the first few days.
_____________________