Chinese Proverb: He who returns from a journey is not the same as he who left.




My Photo Links


Weather in Taipei: The WeatherPixie Weather in Calgary: The WeatherPixie

Check the latest weather in Taiwan. What is an NT worth in your home currency? xe.com


NaNoWriMo Winner
I actually wrote a novel.
tsimplyme got their Neopet at http://www.neopets.com

Photos (c) 2005, T. Destiny
All Rights Reserved

NeoPet Graphic (c) 2004 Neopets, Inc.
All Rights Reserved.
Used With Permission

Powered for Blogger
by Blogger templates

My Taiwan Adventure

Friday, June 24, 2005
154 - Jr. High
I remember junior high. I hated junior high. You couldn't pay me enough to repeat it. Ever. And here I am teaching it? *laughs* Is that irony?

Grade 7 & 8 haven't changed much since I was a student. The students are still in cliques. They are still mean to each other. I have had to comfort a few crying girls and boys in my time here as a teacher because somebody was mean. I even let the teary kids out of class to go compose themselves if they need it. I'm a big soft-hearted teacher because I WAS one of those crying kids.

Anyway - I'm off to grade some more... it's still the beginning of the day and I want some comfortable coffee and breakfast to go with my marking pen. I got some unfortunate reviews from my favorite girls class that have me a little sad, but then I can always pull out a letter from my grade 4's that will make me smile and almost cry with gratitude. Everything balances out in the end.

BTW - the university job says paperwork shouldn't be a problem, but I'm waiting on some answers about logistics before I run around leaping that I'll be working with students both old enough and articulate enough to chat.

A final note on IRONY because I talk about it so much.
Irony usually emphasizes the contrast between the way things are expected to be and the way they actually are. Here's an example of irony: Medieval people believed that bathing would harm them when in fact not bathing led to the unsanitary conditions that caused the bubonic plague. Isn't it ironic? Quoted from Sparknotes website.

Post a Comment



eXTReMe Tracker