Chinese Proverb: He who returns from a journey is not the same as he who left.




My Photo Links


Weather in Taipei: The WeatherPixie Weather in Calgary: The WeatherPixie

Check the latest weather in Taiwan. What is an NT worth in your home currency? xe.com


NaNoWriMo Winner
I actually wrote a novel.
tsimplyme got their Neopet at http://www.neopets.com

Photos (c) 2005, T. Destiny
All Rights Reserved

NeoPet Graphic (c) 2004 Neopets, Inc.
All Rights Reserved.
Used With Permission

Powered for Blogger
by Blogger templates

My Taiwan Adventure

Wednesday, June 22, 2005
152- Roaches, roaches, roaches
Yes, it was 4 am in the morning again when I awoke suddenly to the feeling of little insect feet running across my back. Ick, ewwwww & yuck! Of course the first thing I do is jump and shriek. All I caught out of the corner of my eye was a dark streak running down the right side of my bed where the mosquito net isn't tucked in under the mattress. One word came to mind - roach.

Sitting bolt upright I scanned the bed for more of the creepy critters. Nothing. Leaning over the side of my bed I saw the offending bug skitter past my storage suitcase and make for the back of the clothes cabinet. They make noise when they run. It is a noise that will stick with me forever. Just writing about it is making my skin crawl.

The first thing I went for was a pair of shoes. No way was I standing in nothing but my bedroom slippers while a giant roach roamed the room. Stumped into indecisiveness by the rush of adrenalyn I prayed and then I moved a couple of things away from the wall to see if it would run.

To my surpirse a second roach twice the size of the first makes a dash across the room. I wasn't as brave alone at 4 am as I was in front of a class of boys who were trying to make me scream. This time I shrieked. However, I was now armed in my school shoes. With more prayer - this time outloud - "please make it die quickly Lord" I make a quick and decisive squish as the first one reappears. It dies on the first stomp.

With my heart pounding and adrenalyn surging through my body I spy the second LARGER roach crawling into my unzippered suitcase. Squishing one in the open is different than having to open a suitcase and pray that it doesn't decide to fly. Yes, ladies and gentlemen, the big ones have wings.

I creep towards the suitcase with electric bug zapping racket in hand and flip it open... nothing happens. I push the few things around with the racket... an ant explodes with a sharp "SNAP" and I jump. My body is in full panic mode.

Suddenly I see it.... "big bad bug" made it's way out the other side of the suitcase and was making a beeline for the door. I think about letting it go and then decide that it would not give me peace of mind. I make a lunge and it skitters part way up the wall and then freezes.

I'm frozen too. This thing is huge, ugly and fast. I don't want to miss. I'm still praying out loud for the kill to be clean and easy. I swish the air a little around it and when it puts it's hairy legs on the floor again I strike with the electric racket. SNAP, SNAP! It flips over and starts kicking wildly in the air. I can't bear to watch and stomp on it twice. Bug guts spray out onto my just-washed floor as it dies.

Thus ends the first roach kill in my apartment. Me - sweating in the cool 24 above air in my room with my bangs dangling infront of my eyes as I scan the floor, walls and ceiling for anything else that is moving. I watch the clock flip over past 4:30 am... I crawl into bed with all the lights on and start reading Proverbs. I fall asleep reading verse 19:17.
I wake up staring into the still open Bible and begin reading "Love not sleep, lest thou come to poverty..." Proverbs 20:13 It made me laugh because it was so appropriate this morning!

Post a Comment



eXTReMe Tracker