
A beautifully cool morning and my heart aching for greenery I hopped on the MRT line closest to my house and headed south to the
Taipei Zoo. Not knowing what to expect I was a little anxious that I have a good day. The entrance fee is a nominal 60 NT. In comparison, the
Calgary Zoo is $15 Cdn. The Calgary Zoo is billed as one of North America's top 10 zoos and I held an annual membership to go whenever I pleased. I founded to be very good for stress relief. I was hoping to find the same calmness in the zoo here.
I was pleasantly surprised to find that the zoo was a mecca of animal species that had plenty of space to roam. Even if some of the exhibits seemed grossly over-populated the surroundings were natural, green and were obviously well-tended. I was also really happy that there were hardly any people at the zoo.
It didn't take long for the heat to cut through the light cloud cover and I was grateful that the zoo sported lots of shade. I have since discovered that it is considered too hot until October or so to go visit the zoo. Smart people. The zoo is B. I. G. - big. I walked over 3 km in the blistering heat and I felt slightly sick by the end of it all. I even skipped big chunks of the exhibits because I knew I was pushing myself a little in the incredible heat. Fortunately there are drink stands conveniently located through the park and I availed myself of them freely. I spent twice as much on drinks than I did on entrance fees.

The best thing about the zoo was the greenery, the lack of people, and the abundant photo opportunities. The worst thing about the zoo is the new bug bites that prove, once again, that I am allergic to Taiwanese bugs. Luckily I was wearing jeans so I got no bites on my legs but my arms are currently marred by huge welts caused by the biting insects. My school director, Tiffany, was so kind she gave me antibiotic ointment and another cream to smooth on the bites to keep them from itching and throbbing so much. It helps a little, but I think I will go home and take half an antihistamine pill because they were waking me up at 4 this morning.
Funnily, it was a spur of the moment decision to go to the zoo and I didn't have any bug-repellant with me. I think it will join my flashlight and umbrella in the "going out" kit. As if I don't tote around enough with me, I have to add more?

If you want to see the photos in larger format, just take a tour around my Photoblogging Taiwan website and you'll be able to get a closer look at the great scenery at the Taipei Zoo.