Day 67 in Taiwan + Day 15 as a Teacher
I'm learning that Monday's classes are the times where I have to pay close attention and adjust my lesson plans for the rest of the week accordingly. I consider it my "class barometer." Today (Tuesday) I tried teaching one class persisting with a lesson that didn't work yesterday. For the next group of students I changed the lesson and was happy to see that it ran much smoother. I'm sorry I didn't change it sooner. I'm learning to adapt my lessons faster. Additionally I'm learning that more materials makes it easier to shift to different avenues and keep the students focused. I maintain that as my experience grows my lessons will get better. Even my "challenging" classes went well today. The prayers must be working!
I tried something new at school today for my energy levels. Instead of napping or doing little computer tasks between one of my classes I went to my drama classroom and did some exercises. Instead of dreading my most challenging students I felt charged when they came into the room. I actually felt more in control having gotten some blood flowing through my veins instead of building my anxiety levels. I left the music playing while I was taking attendance and I could tell that some of them were really enjoying it! I know it's odd that I'm excited by this but it is the first sign that I'm reaching this class and that makes me happy to the point of enthusiasm.
The other change that I made with that class is showing them what it could be like when I'm not busy disciplining them all the time. I played a game for the last 10 minutes of class that involved a great deal of running and they thought it was great! I wonder if they know that I thought it was great too?! I even let the kids talk me into participating for a round or two. I'm not trying to be their buddy - but someone reminded me the other day that it is easier to attract them with kindness and praise than with sternness. I had to discipline them last class when they broke the door but this class I let them see that I'm not all bad.
*laughs* I CAN be the cool teacher too.I'm feeling pretty up right now. Last night I spent sharing a Western FEAST with my agency coordinator and other friends. Finally, a meal without rice or noodles! The menu consisted of
homemade vegetarian lasagnae, corn on the cob, mashed potatoes, salad, and grilled chicken breasts.

Desert was a luscious chocolate cake with ice cream and strawberries. YUMMY!
This kind of feast is a rare occurrence for me in Taiwan. Lasagna noodles are not terribly easy to find let alone someone who wants to cook them! The whole thing was a delicious treat... and one which I will savor in my memory time and again.

Bless the cooks! Mon & James.
I must confess that I overate last night. The lasagna was almost as good as the one that my sister makes! Here I am captured with chocolate cake and ice cream.
YUM!My sweet tooth has taken control of my diet lately. I'm scared of gaining weight because I'm being very lenient with myself and have given into cravings more often then I care to tell you. Any time I do not know what to do, who to talk to, or where to go - I eat . I should be doing something else like painting or creating. At least I haven't given into the urge to smoke, which is what I would have done a couple of years ago when I was uncertain. I suspect that once I'm out of the hostel (end of this week) and have my visa approved (tomorrow) I'll start to accumulate crafty things and start channeling my energy more effectively. The exercise between class is a good start.
I have a long weekend coming up. The school is celebrating it's 60th Anniversary on Saturday. The six of us foreign teachers are required to be on-grounds and will have to do a small speech. To make up for this time we are getting Monday+Tuesday off. Some of my fellow teachers are planning on traveling. I'm not 100% on what I'm going to do yet. Maybe I'll utilize the time to settle into the new apartment. I don't want to make too many plans yet.
Oddly I'm more into school right now than leisure time. Perhaps because I'm just cutting my teeth and everything is new and exciting or maybe because I haven't made any lasting friends to spend time with yet. I feel like I'm holding my breath waiting to see the outcome of so many different variables before I indulge in life. It is very strange to me to feel this way. Happily it isn't a negative place to be in the short-term and I anticipate things will settle down soon enough.
I've begun work on my next photo-blog that will comprise photos from my first 40 days of journeying. I've taken over 1,000 photos since first landing in Taiwan. I'm trying to get a good sampling of them on-line to share. Though I'm still terribly posessive over my photos, I've finally coming to the point in my life where hoarding my photos because I'm afraid of people violating my copyright is no longer an issue that will stop me from using the web to share my experience. *laughing* So many changes in me lately, it's hard to keep track! I hardly feel like the same person I was a year ago. Praise God!
There is a link to my 3 photo sites in the side-bar. You can peek in and out of the photo blog as it is under-construction here:
Photo-Blogging Taiwan: A Pictorial Companion to My Taiwan Adventure