"Somebody is always trying to get you to spend your money."
This is a paraphrase of the opening line of my newest lesson. And it appears, so far, to be a success. I'm grateful that I've managed to capture the student's attention for the last part of the school year. I think it helps that we're also familiar with each other now. The expectations are gone and reality has set in for all of us. The students are still antsy because its the end of the year but that is to be expected. There is a lot of pressure on these kids right now to perform.
Tonight is a big dinner party for some of the graduating grade 6's at
The Grand Hyatt located right near Taipei 101. Another one of the grade 6 classes has invited the teachers to their banquet at the
Taipei American Club on Sunday. These events aren't sponsored by the school. The parents are funding the special events. It is a visible reminder that I'm not teaching poor students. In addition, I've also received an invite from one of my six Grade 4 classes for a year end celebration on Saturday.
I am a little overwhelmed with all the invitations and am frightened that there may be more of them. The Grade 4's made considerable effort to make sure that although my invitation was in Chinese that the organizer (one of the mothers) phoned me to invite me personally in English to the event. I couldn't say no to such a gracious invitation and extension of hospitality. So both Saturday and Sunday night I'll be enjoying supper and 3-4 hour programs in Chinese. *laughs* It serves me right for not learning the language! The Grade 4 event will be particularly interesting as I'll know nobody but the students at the dinner.
I still feel like an interloper here. An outsider and a transient. Perhaps that is because my future plans are undecided. It is not a bad feeling, but it stands out to me as a reason why I've been so guarded with most of the people I meet. I really noticed on the rooftop patio when people I met have been here for 2-3 years that I'm definitely the "newbie". Fortunately there was someone at the party who has only been in the country for 4 days and rescued me from that title. It's just something I noticed and thought to record.
More on the events later. There's grading to be done.
Best wishes to all my friends around the world.
T. Destiny in Taipei