I must admit I didn't want to leave Taidong. I found the climate there wonderful... warm with an ocean breeze to cut the heat. Blue skies above and sea beside me and a "mountain" in town just waiting to be hiked on. It was truly a wonderful place from my infatuated point of view. However, I thought if I'm going to make it around this island before I'm completely broke, hitting the road was a good idea.
After being hustled relentlessly for a cab and waving them all off, I bravely decided to hike to the railway station. The old station is conveniently in town and no longer in operation. The new station is 5 km from my hotel. Yup, I didn't want to wait idly for the hour before the bus left so I decided, luggage and all, I was going to walk. Stubborn. When will I learn not to be so stubborn? Long story made short - I got lost.
Tired, lost, hungry and just a little sweaty and sunburned I saw my sign. "Montessori." With nothing more than that single word, I knew I was going to find my way shortly. Montessori is the name of a chain of English Schools in Taiwan. While the place initially looked abandoned, I steeled myself for a sweaty interview, because strangely enough I was still toting around my resume in hand. I didn't get an interview on the spot, but I was able to talk with one of the foreign teachers (from Singapore) in English and find out that I was NOT going the right way to the train station. As we were chatting, a "pack" of 4 foreigners went by - she asked if they were with me, because they were standing on the street corner outside the school. Having left my contact information for the manager, I caught up to the 4 on the corner. They were lost looking for the train too!
The five of us proceeded to catch a taxi and headed to the station. I must say this is the longest train ride I've had so far on the island. Maybe because I was tired from my aborted hike... maybe because the scenery, although interesting was not as unique as other trips, but most likely because I'm getting used to this train thing. I tried to sleep but there was a small child who was infatuated with me and had a smile like the sunshine. He made the trip more interesting, if tiring.
I'm now in Hualien - which is the gateway to Taiwan's famous Taroko Gorge. A highway was cut through the marble cliffs here. Hualien is a major exporter of marble and the sidewalks here are almost exclusively some kind of marble mosaic. It is all very beautiful in the sunlight I'm sure. After checking out the first hotel I was inclined to enter (500 NT - roaches are free!) I decided to throw budget to the wind. I'm staying in my most expensive hotel yet at 900 NT for the night. No roaches. No fridge/hairdryer. No problem.
I've even managed to have a phone call from one of the places I left my contact info and e-mailed him my resume a couple of minutes ago. He wants me to come back to Taidong for an interview. I'm going to wait till he gets my info... I don't want to jockey back and forth too much for no reason. Additionally that last school I applied to the teacher there didn't recommend working there, so I'm a little leary of running back if that is the school that is trying to contact me.
Tomorrow's plan is to tour Taroko Gorge by bus if I can find the travel agency in time. I look forward to more beauty and scenery. I bought a couple of new shirts to go with the skirt I purchased yesterday. This is the interview wear that I didn't pack with me because I was only going on a SHORT trip around Kaoshing - not the whole island. *shrugging* What can I say besides I'm following my instincts?.
I also stumbled on an internet cafe - okay - sought one out! Missing some of the familiarity of home and getting hugs from all my friends. It's weird being completely solo. Sure I lived alone in Alberta, but this is absolute aloneness - no opportunities for lasting social interaction. I'm not lonely - just feeling a little odd.
Love and hugs.
T. Destiny