Chinese Proverb: He who returns from a journey is not the same as he who left.




My Photo Links


Weather in Taipei: The WeatherPixie Weather in Calgary: The WeatherPixie

Check the latest weather in Taiwan. What is an NT worth in your home currency? xe.com


NaNoWriMo Winner
I actually wrote a novel.
tsimplyme got their Neopet at http://www.neopets.com

Photos (c) 2005, T. Destiny
All Rights Reserved

NeoPet Graphic (c) 2004 Neopets, Inc.
All Rights Reserved.
Used With Permission

Powered for Blogger
by Blogger templates

My Taiwan Adventure

Wednesday, February 09, 2005
Never Trust Internet Explorer!
Because the carefully written blog can be deleted in less than 2 nanoseconds!

Okay, so to start all over again:

There have been no picture updates here because most internet cafes don't have CD drives in their computers. I figure it is an effort to keep the computer costs down. Given that Kaosiung has the cheapest prices I've seen so far (under $1 for 2 hours) I can not complain. Until I remember to ASK for a computer with a CD drive (and learn to make that understood) you'll have to make-do with just text. Sorry, I'd really like to add photos. I've taken over 300 since I've been here. But today is not the day for that to happen.

I share in the Chinese New Year today. Here's a greeting for all of you: http://www.chinapage.com/duilian/newyear.html
Chinese New Year always falls on the second New Moon after the shortest day of the year (the winter solstice). That way it is always predictable and accurate. It is based strictly on astronomical observations, and has nothing to to with the Pope, emperors, animals or myths. Due to its scientific and mathematical nature, it can be precisely calculated backward or forward for thousands of years.
More for the more interested readers: http://www.chinapage.com/newyr2k2.html

It is the year of the rooster here, and the asian culture has managed to even make the ugliest animal cutesy. There's a big statue of a rooster outside the Kaosiung Chang Kai-shek Cultural Center. I spent the day there with the locals. There was a huge market, lion dancing, pony rides, and lots of food and fun. I watched people fly kites up to heights where you could barely see the shape of the kite. It was hard not to get swept into the fun atmosphere.

Everybody was in such a gay and happy mood. The Chinese believe that how you are on the first day of the year is how you'll be for the whole year, so nobody scolds the children so they don't cry. Nobody wants a crying baby for a whole year! Seriously though I think the locals just need a chance to relax and all the superstition about not sweeping the happiness out of the house by cleaning on New Years is just a way to justify not doing the housework for a day!

Kaoshing is growing on me. It's hard not to like the place when everybody is happy and helpful. I even feel a bit more like my chatty self. I met a foreigner and we're planning on going to one of the ex-pat hang-outs tomorrow night. She's only been here a week and starts her new job on Monday. Most places are shut down until then. I noticed in Kaoshing everything was closed on New Year's eve and most places were open today. Lots of sales going on - for new clothes. Yay! I forgot my dirty laundry sack at a hotel along the way, so have decided that socks and underwear are a must.

Speaking of work. I've applied for a job producing English learning videos in Taichung. I expect to hear back from them after the holiday. It's funny because I forgot to write here that I have stumbled onto 2 different sets in my time here. I was lost my last day in Tainan and ended up on a television set. I was invited to stay and watch the taping so I did. I'm pretty sure they thought I was a journalist, because I was treated a bit like a celebrity. When I took out my journal to write a few thoughts I was immediately surrounded by a large portion of the cast and crew. They all wanted to know what I was writing. I ended up making friends with one of the actors and also got a ride to the train station with one of Taiwan's best known soap opera actresses. My new friend Stanly has offered to show me his home town of Chaiyi. I'll take him up on it when I head back to the centre of the country.

The gang from ChangHua is out at green island right now. (Link to photos: http://www.taiwanho.com/gallery/view_album.php?set_albumName=album13) It's Taiwan's answer to a tropical paradise. I've been invited to go out and join them. I might take them up on it Friday or so. I'd like to see that plus go up the east coast by train to enjoy some of the greener part of the island. They've been having more than a few earthquakes up by Hualien, but apparently that's pretty common. I also want to go to the Alishan area - which has one of the worlds 3 remaining narrow guage railway lines. It covers a pretty diverse range of flora/fauna. I'm also concious of treading there on a busy holiday season. All it time it seems.

Anyway the original post was WAY more witty. It's just past midnight so I'm going to pack it in.
Thanks for the calls and e-mails. You guys are pretty damn wonderful to have in my life!
Cheers.

Love,
T. Destiny

Post a Comment



eXTReMe Tracker