Chinese Proverb: He who returns from a journey is not the same as he who left.




My Photo Links


Weather in Taipei: The WeatherPixie Weather in Calgary: The WeatherPixie

Check the latest weather in Taiwan. What is an NT worth in your home currency? xe.com


NaNoWriMo Winner
I actually wrote a novel.
tsimplyme got their Neopet at http://www.neopets.com

Photos (c) 2005, T. Destiny
All Rights Reserved

NeoPet Graphic (c) 2004 Neopets, Inc.
All Rights Reserved.
Used With Permission

Powered for Blogger
by Blogger templates

My Taiwan Adventure

Thursday, February 03, 2005
Two Days in Tainan
Greetings All,
Well I'm near the end of my day in Tainan, and have decided to spend the night here rather than going to Kaoshing this evening. I met two very nice westerners in the coffee shop today and we have spent the day sightseeing the temples, ruins, and more old spots that Tainan has to offer. There are temples everywhere in the city and I suspect that I've seen more than my share of spots to "worship" over here. Actually, I had my nose burried in a guidebook when the boys pointed out the SDA church. I would have missed it if it wasn't pointed out to me. I can find it again if I go back to the last scenic wonder we were at. I'm starting to be weary of temples altogether.

There is a school in Lukang - the first "historic temple town" that I went to that would like an interview. In addition, I had a chat with somebody regarding the SDA school and there is some speculation that they would like to add another teacher to the roster. I was asked if I'd be interested. I'm sure the work front is covered if I want to work in that area.

What can I say about Tainan? It is dirty, but friendly, noisy and crowded, but there is still room to walk. I'm sure I have only seen a tiny portion of the city itself, given that I"m on foot and haven't been brave or brash enough to just hop on any old city bus and go. What I'm beginning to see is that all Taiwan's towns look relatively similar. There is a pillow store, a bike shop, a scooter repair place, a place that makes fruit drinks, and one that makes noodles. There are bakeries, 7-11's on every corner and the occasional drugstore/pharmacy that claims to be open 24H but actually closes at 10 pm.

Things here are not very different from home, and at the same time they are utterly unalike. Nobody walks here. Scooters are the norm. Family is of utmost importance to the Taiwanese. There seems to be little room for true relaxation in a culture that still largely believes in a 6 day work week. Military service is mandatory for the young men of Taiwan. Fighter jets patrol the skies every day. Differences are everywhere. I am both used to them and not used to them. It is an odd feeling of comfort and confusion.

Travelling doesn't hold so much fear anymore, but I'm loathe to say that I know how to get around. I was able to rely mostly on one of the gentleman I met today as he is studying Chinese and has been for over 4 years. It was nice to get some of the story about the temple from the Buddhist monk we met today. I must say that it is the first temple that I went into that held more interest then the one on the top of the mountain with the stairs that go on forever. I was able to get his picture as he watered the beautiful roses that filled the inner courtyards.

More later - e-cafes rock.

Post a Comment



eXTReMe Tracker