Greetings All,
Well I'm expeiencing Taiwan's cold weather. I know that 13 (C) above is pretty warm by Albera standards but with a stiff wind, high humidity, and no central heating - it's just chilly. I'm wearing both my lightweight coats that I brought - the fleece on the inside keeps me warm and my wind proof jacket on the outside keeps the wind from cutting though. It is a good thing that I brought a couple of sweaters too. *s*
I didn't do much today, some laundry, dishes and housework, and some back and forth e-mails with a local recruiter about a school that wants a face-to-face meeting with me. I'm not qualified for the job but for some reason they're in love with my CV. I think frankly, it isn't about me but rather about the high demand for local english teachers and the recruiter's paycheck. The fact that I'm here and that I can be hired prior to the New Year (which is on Sunday) gives me an edge on finding work right now. Naturally I still want to travel which makes me wonder why I'm entertaining this idea aside from the need for security.
I also went to the local market today to get some eggs. They don't come refridgerated here - which I think is strange until I remembered how hot eggs are when they come straight out of the chicken. Besides with today's chill, I'm not concerned about the temperature of the eggs.
Things that are in English are rare, but it's easy to see how non-english speakers in Canada would get confused by shopping by the pictures on the labels!
Going to see a girl off tonight. One thing I'll have to get used to in Taiwan is that somebody will always be coming or going. Given that English teachers all kind of bond in some way the over-turn here seems high. Although I did meet one teacher from Malta who has been here 6 years. Wow!
Oh, I got my new cell number! Yay! I'm so excited to be able to call people is something I think we have taken for granted in Canada. Now, I've done some quasi-legal things in Taiwan. Yes, you have to have an ARC to qualify for a phone number here legally. I was
given *wink wink nudge nudge* my number by a friend. I like it because even though it uses more digits than we are used to conincidentally 403 comes at the front just like the Alberta numbers! The numbers are randomly distributed to 7-11's through the country. And oh, about 7-11 you can pay bills there and everything - fax, photocopy. It's pretty neat. And they have a little heater to keep canned drinks like coffe & hot chocolate warm. Good idea really -we could use it in Canada. Although somebody might sue because the tins are really really warm. *l* It was nice to warm my hands around a tin of hot chocolate today. BTW hanging clothes in this weather to dry is annoyingly chilly.... I have new respect for my elders and the hard work they did to keep things running before dryers.
What more can I say? Oh, loads of things. I'm starting to miss home a little bit and the thought of leaving J's house to travel to Kaoshing leaves me feeling slightly queezy. However, I'm feeling good because I'm actually beginning to understand a bit of the language. I practiced my numbers on the weekend and got what the clerk was saying to me when I checked out of the store today. Yay! Also I looked into getting a new bike lock for my little folding bike and was able to ask the price in Mandarin and understand the response. Good stuff. Now if I can get the time thing down, I'll feel better riding the trains/buses. Still haven't decided on New Years - it will be either Kaoshing or Taipei, or possibly both as the celebrations last 3 days... mind you the cost of zipping from one end of the isle to the other is not the wisest thing to undertake. So, I'll see what the good Man upstairs has to say.
((HUGS)) and love to those who need it and want it.
Oh, btw - I updated the past 2 days of posts with appropriate photos so do a quick scroll through. I
do try to keep things interesting.
No more exciting things to write...
Until Tomorrow
T. Destiny