Hello All,
Was so tired last night that I didn't write much of the day.
I started out the morning by going for a walk down to the train station and back. I'm slowly familiarizing myself with the streets and landmarks so I'm not in fear of losing my way back to the apartment. On the way I stopped at a bakery and got a pastry that looked similar to a danish but the filling was grey. To date, I'm still not certain what the filling was, but the local consensous of english folk seems to be that it was probably red bean. I ate
around the filling for the most part. Bread here does taste different. It is mostly heavier and sweeter than I'm used to and there doesn't seem to be any whole grain or brown bread available.
On the trip to the NEW box store,
Tesco, in Taichung yesterday I bought mayonnaise so that I could enjoy the superb local produce in a blt (minus the bacon). My new friend Liz and I also purchased the rare local delicacy - cheese and cold cuts. Apparently the food we take for granted is highly treasured here. Yes, it was expensive comared to what we pay. We sat outside the store and made ourselves sandwiches from the cheese (gouda, cheddar &blue)/meat/mayo with a baguette we found. Plus I had something called grass juice - which didn't taste like grass or even wheat grass. More like an apple-lime-kiwi taste. Liz is moving and doesn't have a fridge yet so I brought the cheese left-overs home for Jeremy and company. Apparently having cheese at your get-togethers is a guaranteed way to make a good impression on the Western population.
New things I tried on Monday: "Master" brand coffee in a can. Getting lost in downtown Taichung and missing the bus back to the train station. Taking the train on my own.
The pink and white apartment building is where I'm staying with Jeremy.
There is a nice rooftop "garden" which most buildings don't have and a pool which is filled in the summer. Most folk here don't understand that I find it warm now.
Below is the view of ChangHua from the top of the local "mountain" (read... big hill)
where the Big Buddah sits. On a clear day they say you can see the ocean from here and this was a military hot-spot during the Japanese occupation. While I honestly believed it to be a clear day - it wasn't clear enough to see much past downtown.