Chinese Proverb: He who returns from a journey is not the same as he who left.




My Photo Links


Weather in Taipei: The WeatherPixie Weather in Calgary: The WeatherPixie

Check the latest weather in Taiwan. What is an NT worth in your home currency? xe.com


NaNoWriMo Winner
I actually wrote a novel.
tsimplyme got their Neopet at http://www.neopets.com

Photos (c) 2005, T. Destiny
All Rights Reserved

NeoPet Graphic (c) 2004 Neopets, Inc.
All Rights Reserved.
Used With Permission

Powered for Blogger
by Blogger templates

My Taiwan Adventure

Wednesday, February 16, 2005
Taitung
Greetings All,

Well arrived Taitung just after dark last night, and went to the "highly recommended" backpackers hostel. Was greeted there by a very very large roach. You know you're in for a night when the floor moves before you flick on the light... not a good thing. Maybe that's why when you ask to see a room here (they're pretty used to that from foreigners) the hotelier always flicks on the light - with a switch that is OUTSIDE the room. That way you won't see the roaches running for cover. If I get a choice I always go first so I can see for myself if anything is running for cover. Needless to stay I went down the street to a hotel that pretended cleanliness.

I wandered about the streets for a while, but Taitung is a lot smaller than other places I've been to and there wasn't much to do after dark. Some good sales on clothes, but I didn't buy anything... however, doing laundry in the sinks as I go is getting a bit old. I'm thinking about staying here for another couple of days. The hotels are cheap here - primarily because Taitung isn't a tourist place. It is commonly used as a transit point to get to the more exotic islands off the coast here. I hated the place last night, but I really haven't been eating/sleeping well for the past 2 days so I can understand being grumpy at night.

This morning I went for a wander/explore and was followed around for a while by a gritty looking man who when he finally caught up to me insisted on kissing my hand. I was praying that I would find a way to be polite to him but still make him go away when the police came by and he went away on his own. Many thanks to God on that one.

The ocean is a stones throw from downtown and there is a beach that is easily accessible. I'm not sure as to the cleanliness and you probably can't swim there because of the undertow, but it is at least a source of cool ocean breezes that cut the muggy humidity. I could see myself working here and was impressed enough to actually carry my resume with me while I hike about today. I'm actually toting all my luggage around town as I wasn't interested enough in last nights grotty hotel to leave it there. I've decided to find something CLEAN tonight.

There is a hot springs just 15 km out of town that has a lot of resort hotels and a recreation area (that's what they call their version of a national park). I thought that I might rent a scooter and go explore. The town here is small enough that I would feel safe learning to scoot. If anybody is considering coming - learn the scooter FIRST! In wonderful clean safe rule abiding streets! Really, driving here can be very dangerous. The rule of the road seems to be that the more aggressive you are the likelier you are to be safe.

So, I thought I'd wish you all a belated Happy V. Day... getting used to the time change is a challenge.
Love and Hugs to all that want them.

Be Good, More later
T. Destiny

Post a Comment



eXTReMe Tracker