Chinese Proverb: He who returns from a journey is not the same as he who left.




My Photo Links


Weather in Taipei: The WeatherPixie Weather in Calgary: The WeatherPixie

Check the latest weather in Taiwan. What is an NT worth in your home currency? xe.com


NaNoWriMo Winner
I actually wrote a novel.
tsimplyme got their Neopet at http://www.neopets.com

Photos (c) 2005, T. Destiny
All Rights Reserved

NeoPet Graphic (c) 2004 Neopets, Inc.
All Rights Reserved.
Used With Permission

Powered for Blogger
by Blogger templates

My Taiwan Adventure

Wednesday, December 28, 2005
337 - Elusive
They were talking over a two bottles of candy and I watched in quiet fascination. It seemed a simple enough trade - cash for candy. Eric, the boy with the goods, thrust it towards Jacky. Jacky then pulled out 15 NT and agonizingly counted it one coin at a time before holding it out on his palm.

Eric waved his hands a little frantically saying, "Mayo, mayo." Jacky frowned a bit and proceeded to press the reluctant boy to accept the cash. Eric continued to refuse. Then Jacky jammed the change into Eric's pocket. This seems to have concluded the bizzare ritual and both boys walked away happily. Eric's smile was bigger than usual as he strolled off.

"Guanxi" is most definately more complex than I can begin to understand or convey. Yet, even my students who are in Grade One and Two seem to engage in it. The concept of 'you owe me one' seems to pervade transactions in Taiwan.

As far as I can tell local people here have an interesting way of organizing their lives. Acquaintances and friends fall into one of two catagories: Those who owe me and those that I owe. I suppose there could be a third category of people, but they would probably be thought of us either potential sources of Guanxi or completely unimportant, like a clerk at 7-11.

In a land that functions quite well with a general sense of obligation, I'm an oddity. I can be notoriously stubborn and I often miss out on things because I refuse to ask for help. For the majority of my time here, I have cautiously avoided asking for favors or even information. Today I threw my caution to the wind. Let me be indebted if it makes my life easier and more enjoyable. Maybe I'll have the opportunity one day to pay it back.

Post a Comment



eXTReMe Tracker