The green canopy is heavy and thick in the late afternoon light. The wind is whistling in my ears and my feet are mere inches from slick wet pavement as I lean into curve. The motor sings in a satisfactory two-stroke engine purr. I open the throttle to feel the tiny 50 cc engine work a little harder as I flee up the mountain. There is a fleeting moment where a shaft of sunlight arrows through the heavy white sky seemingly to point the way less travelled. I am eager to signal my acceptance by hunching my whole body forward; encouraging my mount. I am escaping.
The precious seconds of light are extending into a vast land of possibility. I round a sharp curve to find myself facing a spectacular wall of greenery, a beautiful little stream, or a singularly stunning vista of the valley below. These are all perfect opportunities to stop and take photos. I find myself pausing to attempt an impossible capture. As I drive, I am thinking over and over that I am so grateful to have a scooter.
This evening, I am still marvelling about how blessed I am to have this chance to experience the photos that others will only be able to see. I am lucky enough to breathe this chilly humid mountain air, to hear the smooth wet sound of my tires on this pavement, to feel the cold fingers of this jungle shadow caress my hands. As I travel up the mountain away from the clustered streets of Taipei I smile. I smile and I laugh at nothing. I laugh in the cooler cleaner air and it feels good. I remember who I am.